1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too many elements?

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Here's a picture I've been struggling with for quite some time. It has elements I like in a picture. Mist, trees, water, reflections, sky, mountains, dead stump in water, dark shadows, snow, sunset colour and so on.
    But all at the same time?
    Does it work or is it too cluttered?
    As always, comments welcome, thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

edit: the compression is killing this, it's much better big on the monitor, honest Guv.

2. Helander

3. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

It is very nice picture. For me only one element should not be there: dead stump. It's the first thing that I've noticed on your pic and the worse one in my opinion. The rest is very pleasant.

4. Caulkhead

Caulkhead Well-Known Member

I like the shot.

But I recall that I had the same problem with a dawn beach shot in that in trying to get the silhouettes of the trees I ended up blocking out the right-hand-side as has happened in this image. No matter what I did with levels, I could not seem to correct it to breathe some life into that dead spot. If I cropped it out, it unbalanced the overall composition.

However in your shot there are several potential attactive pictures within it. As RM frequently says "Interrogate it".

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I find the blacked out area to the bottom right is rather intrusive, it tends to divert attention from the rest.

6. Helander

Thanks folks.
    You're all right, the log is distracting and the right hand too dark. One for the bin I think.
    The more I look at it the more I dislike it...lol

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  7. Caulkhead

Caulkhead Well-Known Member

No- don't bin it there is some good stuff here! Just crop it to a letterbox to capture the trees and the mountains with their reflections and make the most of the colours already captured.. I would also leave the log in as an interest point.

8. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Really like that and has some wonderful colours too.

I'd be tempted to crop in from the right a touch and yes, lose the log.

9. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I like the hills and their reflection. I don't think anything else is necessary.

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I like it as it is. As for the "blocked area" bottom right, large file looks fine on my monitor. I can pick out he details ok.

11. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

I like this image, apart from the dark trees on the right.

I hope you don't mind, but my preferred crop would be this:

[​IMG]
    ...or maybe even a wee bit tighter on the right but keeping in the 'stump'; I like that element ;)

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I have no problem at all with the right side, there is plenty of detail there. Cropping it off just makes the thing insipid. But agree the log is a bit of a distraction in this shot, but might play a key role in others.

13. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Prefer the original. Stump is a little distracting but easy to remove.