1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Todays walk

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Bipolar, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I took a walk around my neighbourhood this afternoon. I live at the top of a steep
    hill and walking down and back up is good exercise. I walked around a couple trails
    in the area as well but this time of year one has to wary of bears. They are waking
    up from hibernation and they are hungry and they can be cranky as well.

The park.
    [​IMG]

Just a few minutes walk from my back yard.
    [​IMG]

A birch marm growing out of an old cedar stump.
    [​IMG]

An old cedar stump. You can see the small hole chopped in the side of it.
    [​IMG]

The fallers that fell this tree close to a hundred years ago made a cut in each side
    to put in a spring board on each side of the tree. They would then stand on the
    spring boards and use a long hand saw called a "Swede Saw" to cut down the tree.
    The idea was to cut the tree above the thicker area at the base. Swede saws were flat steel saws with a wood handle on each end.
    It would have been hard work using one all day.
    Cedar trees were in demand for utility poles and railway ties. Cedar is very rot resistant.
    [​IMG]

The trail on the hillside. A big black creature could be hard to spot.
    [​IMG]

The hill I walk down and back up again. Good for the blood pressure.
    [​IMG]

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing - very different to where I live in the UK. With respect to the cranky bears, do you take any self-protection with you, or simply rely on being able to climb faster than them?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Bipolar

I have come face to face with bears a couple times and they couldn't run away fast enough.
    If you make enough noise they will usually hide till you pass.
    They don't always run though and will aggressively protect their cubs if they think they are threatened.
    If I'm out fishing I pack a rifle with me. I have pepper spray as well but prefer the rifle.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Is it true grizzly bear shit smells of pepper?

Done_rundleCams and AndyTake2 like this.
  5. Bipolar

Sometimes it has little bells in it too.

Done_rundleCams and AndyTake2 like this.
  6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:D :D :D .... and, a great selection of photos, B_P :) and very different from my local walks
    around downtown Vancouver ;)

Cheers,

jack