1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today I learned...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Oct 31, 2020.

1. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Does not sound like a pooper scooper would have been much use..........

daft_biker likes this.
  2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Depends if you enjoy scenes of outstanding natural beauty and cleaner air.

Looking at barren landscapes is depressing...locally it's probably more marginal sheep farming than land for shooting.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Landscapes are not naturally barren places.

steveandthedogs and daft_biker like this.
  4. Catriona

Today I learned I am really really allergic to flour in its uncooked state. No matter how much I try not to touch it, it must get up my nose and down my throat as I bake. Just about stopped itching and sneezing and coughing. Should have worn my mask.

5. WillieJ

The superannuated beatnic in "Out of her mind" is played by Ade Edmondson. Knew he looked familiar but the lack of studs on the forehead had me fooled.

6. Catriona

Where lantern comes from. Well, maybe. In the C14th they went around the streets/lanes with lanthorns. Seems a possibility?

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Because they used very thin horn where we would use glass.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

Yes, I know that about the windows. I just wondered if lanthorn evolved to lantern. Just a thought.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My shorter OED (3rd edition, 1983) has them as equivalent (lantern also lanthorn) with origins in old French lanterne and Latin lanterna and greek that I’m not going to try.

The OED is on offer, £90 for a year subscription online, usually £245 or something of that order. I keep being tempted when questions about word origins come up.

Catriona likes this.
  10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If you have a library card, you can get access to the OED website through that, gratis.

Gezza and Catriona like this.
  11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That the dot above the letter i or j is called a tittle.

Danno, Zou and Catriona like this.
  12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Public library card? I assumed it was commercial library access.

My library card is so old it is no longer legible. They moved the library into the cinema block, spread it over several floors and reduced the bookshelves to wall decorations around community space. I’ll have to get a new one if OED is available at home for free.

13. Catriona

Aw! That made me look at tattle. I like this definition of its origin. Late 15th century (in the sense ‘falter, stammer’, also ‘make meaningless sounds’)

Sounds like Hancock this morning.

Zou likes this.
  14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The best word I have learned today (and there were a few on the list) is Quincunx. The name of the pattern for number 5 that you see on a die.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Bit of a dodgy word to bring up in conversation when you’ve had a few beers.....

16. gray1720

I'll confirm with SWMBO tonight if I remember, it was she who told me (and was browsing it last night in fact) - certainly the case in Oxfordshire, I guess other counties could have diferrent arrangements, though...

17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

You might not have noticed this, but common ivy (Hedera helix) is becoming even more common. Most other plant species haven’t spread, whilst some species are declining. Nitrogen pollution, caused by agriculture and fossil fuels, seems to accelerate ivy growth.

“This means we won’t get the big clumps of primroses or violets (Photographers) are used to seeing,” says Keith Kirby, an ecologist at the University of Oxford. (Source: New Scientist)

18. WillieJ

I will still think of him as a bit of a tittle.

Danno and Catriona like this.
  19. gray1720

That is very sad - I love both, and compared to them ivy is... a bit dull! Plus, of course, there's the deeper issue...

20. Catriona

What a litany is. (Courtesy of crossword).

Prayer of supplication.