1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To truly detest the 80d

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pixelpuffin, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:55 PM.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

As regular members will know I picked up a used 80d before Christmas. I really wanted the 7dii, but thought (foolishly) the 80d would suffice.
    I already have the 70d which I like and was intending to sell once I had checked the 80d over. Thank god I didn't sell before!!
    I hate the 80d... detest it actually. This particular copy is not even 1yr old. Everytime I pick it up the grip squeaks/creaks even when no lens is fitted, it sends me crazy...to the point where I flat out refuse to even touch the damn thing. The build quality is dire considering this was just shy of £1000 new!!. Also the 70d (which does not squeak) has the pretty amazing continuous focus in live view. Just switch to live view and the camera will constantly adjust focus without touching buttons and if anyone steps into the frame the face tracking kicks in - that can be deactivated (the 100d does this too) The 80d does not!! You have to press a button for it focus...WTF!!
    Whats even more annoying is that the camera was only 7mths old when I got it. I spoke to the seller earlier who has forwarded me a copy of the amazon invoice, which states his details and the order number. Try as I might I cannot find away to contact amazon to see if this can be sorted under warranty. I also sent canon a email earlier. Stating I had been a loyal canon user for over 30yrs. Explained the situation blah blah...they replied with a automated reply (not even addressed to me) stating "for product support contact this link"...it was the link I had sent the initial email too!!!

My (new to me) 7dii should be arriving Monday. I'm in two minds to list this 80d and just get shut. Besides the squeak it performs perfectly albeit without continuous liveview.

After googling it seems the squeak is notorious for the 80d model. Pity I didn't read that before buying.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 5:27 PM
  2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

You should have asked the seller why he wanted to pass it on after only seven months

3. pixelpuffin

I did, he was moving to full frame. He'd bough the 80d to try. Having decided to make ago of weddings and portraits he wanted to move to full frame.... nice bloke.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 6:14 PM
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm..,......Yes

5. pixelpuffin

Don't know what you're trying to imply there... The seller said he did note the creak, but just assumed it was the thing with it being made of plastic and not a professional model. He's forward me a copy of the invoice. I'm just at loggerheads trying to work out how one actually contacts amazon. Unless its something to do with my account...there doesn't seem a way to actually email them...well not that I can find.

I've never had a canon camera that creaks before, hence why I'm so peeved, to be fair, this problem should be covered by warranty. I've never had a cause to use canon repairs before, so I'm hoping I can somehow get this sorted through amazon as they were the seller. Both the invoice and the box state 2019 model. It was purchased new for £963 body only 2nd May.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure warranties aren't transferable.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

They aren’t. Win some, lose some.

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Amazon will not be interested after 7 months even if you were the original buyer, they will refer you to the manufacturer.

Canon will probably say it is part of the design rather than a fault, I am not aware of,a recall.

I doubt the warranty is transferable, but I did find this on the Canon UK site:

Q: If I have bought a Canon product and I later decide to give this / sell this to someone else within the specified European Warranty System (EWS) warranty period, does this EWS warranty transfer with the product?

A: Yes, Canon products are covered by the European Warranty System (EWS) regardless of whom the actual product owner is. However the start and end date of the warranty will apply to the original purchase date and not the date of subsequent sale. If you wish to specifically request a warranty repair under the European Warranty System (EWS) then it will always be necessary for you to provide Canon with the original valid proof of purchase (including original date of purchase) for the product in question and, in some cases, a completed warranty card may also be required. Please require to the specific country in question for specific requirements.

9. pixelpuffin

I assumed the warranty would be non transferrable, that’s why I asked
    The camera itself works flawlessly. It just so happens that this morning at work I bumped into a colleague who kickstarted this hobby a few years back when he insisted I went urbexing with him. He sold his Nikon kit and bought a posh phone. Today he said he fancied getting back into it and was thinking of how best to buy a dslr kit.
    I’ve just text him and said he can take the 80d and I’ll sort him out with lenses and such. this is for my benefit as it gets the 80d out of my way and gives me a alternative subject to taking soccer pictures. Win Win

As for the 80d... I’m pretty lost for words that a camera costing £1000 is built to such poor standards. It put me off buying consumer grade in the future. My 7d is no where near as sophisticated as the 80d but the build quality is worlds apart and I read the newer 7dii is even better. I think I may sell the 70d, 6D and 100d and replace with a 5diii.

That would then leave me with 7d, 7dii and hopefully 5diii.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It appears that it is a characteristic of the model in general, rather than this particular sample? If they are all like that there is nothing wrong with it as such.

Please, don't ever buy anything from me on Ebay:(.

11. pixelpuffin

It wasn’t on eBay
    I wondered how they had managed to reduce the weight from 70d - 80d
    The 70d feels much tighter. I compared both yesterday for AF speed and although the 80d is supppsedly faster/better in real world terms I couldn’t see it.
    Colleague at work doesn’t want the 80d - wants to stick with Nikon. I was going to use the 80d today in anger at sons soccer match - but it’s been cancelled due to weather. If anything it’s made me realise and appreciate just how good the 70d is and has completely put me off even looking at the new 90d

My 7dii is on its way - hopefully it’s a good one. From there on it will be 7diii. I will skip the consumer models in future if this cost cutting is going to be the norm from canon from here on.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Cheaper Canon cameras generally feel less well constructed than their Nikon equivalents (personal opinion), it doesn't seem to prevent them lasting well though. We just don't tend to like items that feel flimsy to us.

13. pixelpuffin

[QUOTE="nimbus, post: 1594876, member: 16275] We just don't tend to like items that feel flimsy to us.[/QUOTE]

And specifically when the item was £1000 and is less than a year old.

A thousand pounds!!......that is a lot of money to pay out for something that’s not manufactured very well. WOW...just Wow!!

14. pixelpuffin

Is there a Authorised Canon Service Centre in Yorkshire.
    I’ve just visited canon website and tried to download process repair form - but it states it’s not working.
    Just been googling this issue (creaky grip) and it is indeed well documented on the web. I don’t feel comfortable selling on without attempting to get it fixed under warranty.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:37 PM
  15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The closest repair centre is probably Lehmann in Stoke on Trent.

16. pixelpuffin

Cheers Pete
    I’ll send them a email explaining the situation.

...and sent
    I’ve included a amazon order number, date when purchased and the cameras serial number.
    Hopefully I’ll get a reply sometime this week.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 2:11 PM