1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To swap or not to swap?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nicxx, Feb 15, 2003.

1. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Now that I am upgrading myself a wee bit, (I have a sexy little 2.8 35-70 and am getting a 80-200 2.8) I have been thinking about my camera. A guy at work keeps insisting that I would be better off with an F5 or preferably an F100. I have an F80 at the minute, is it really going to be worth my while moving? I cant really see why I would want the F5, what about the F100? I would be happy to "upgrade" if it really mant I was getting something better but are any of the functions/the quailty going to be worthwhile or are they just things that I am never going to need anyway? I dont worry too much if my shutter speed is 1/4000 instead of 1/8000 for example. Ive been skimming through the specs but does anyone have an opinion on here?

ermx

2. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

3. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I would not do ANYTHING that a guy at work tells me I should. What does he know? Is he also a photographer, or just a camera owner? Does he actually take better photographs with his(?) F5 or F100 than you do with your F80? Does he actually HAVE an F5 or F100? Or does he just "know" someone who has? Or is what he is saying just hearsay? And finally, do you REALLY think your photographs will be that much better just because you have spent all that extra money?

Roy

Why do people with expensive cameras say you don't need one to take good photographs

4. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Upgrade to what you need, not to what you simply haven't got.

David

5. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Well this is exactly it. He *is* in fact a photographer and owns, amongst other stuff, an F100, but he clearly doesnt own an F80 to compare it to...I was quite sure I didnt need to swap my camera, at least not for one of these models but he just got me thinking.

I mean, if I was going to "upgrade" I think I'd probably be thinking about medium format, which is a totally different kettle of fish and is a definite No at this point anyway. Why would I go and get all these lovely lenses for my Nikon, then go and buy MF and have to start again??? It's not like I have a need for MF at the moment, theyre not going into bloody magazines or anything. I'm just doing it for the F word, F U N. If someone else likes them great.

When I said "insisting" I didnt quite mean it like that! I mean, he's just quite positive it would be a good idea to swap, and he's a really nice guy and intelligent and all that. I just thought maybe there was something I was missing, that the rest of the world knew that I didnt!

ermx

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

The F5 is a pro camera Erm and is built to withstand the knocks that a pro would give it. The F100 is a "semi-pro" model and also has slightly improved build quality compared to the F80 but is still not as tough as the "pro" F5. Specification wise neither of these cameras would offer any significant advantage to you over your present F80 which is more than adequately specced as it is. The F100 is a bit of an oddity really as it falls into a similar bracket to Canon's EOS 3 which is also a "semi-pro" or "enthusiasts" camera in that the build quality is better than the "amateur" models but not quite up to "pro" specification. I think they are generally bought by people who would like to own the "pro" version but who can't justify the cost as an amateur. "Pro wannabes" would be a good description.
    I'd stick with your F80 as it is well up to any task you may demand of it and spend the money on quality glass instead. The camera is NEVER more important than the lens.

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

7. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

We have a Nikon F80 at the moment, I did have an F90x and F100 to. We never touch the F80, I cant stand it, it feels cheap. However i loved the F100, and thought it was a cracking camera, all i need in a camera is aperture priority, and a bulb setting. and most camera's ave that, the reason i purchase mid/top range camera's is becuase of the way they feel, and the ability to withstand knocks. I never buy on features.

8. BigWill

.....look, Jeri Ryan feels cheap, but you never hear me complaining about her body! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

9. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

So if it's so crap why did you get rid of the F100 and F90x (I note you say "did have") and get the F80 if you now never touch it? Surely you felt it and tried it out before you bought it? If the F100 had all you needed why did you get rid of it? And buy something that had "more" features that you didnt need?

I mostly use shutter priority beacuse I shoot in teh dark most of the time, but sometimes AP, ocasionally I'll use M or P.So I wouldnt really like to give these up.

Im not having a go at you but you dont seem to have answered my question and you seem to have argued against your own point. I just want to know what the benefits *are* of a F100 over an F80.

ermx

10. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Thankyou for a very sensible answer Will. Now you can go and have a Guinness or ten on me. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. BigWill

Good plan Erm, off to get shit faced! (Oh bugger, no I can't.......working tomorrow!........curses!)

BigWill

12. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

The f80 is my girlfriends, the f100 and f90x were mine.
    I dont like 35mm SLR's, sold everyhting, Excluding a few pentax bodies and lenses i lend to people.
    I have moved into Digital, medium format and rangefinders, and Mod camera's.
    Having somthing the size and weight of a brick to take negatives the size of my thumb seemed very silly, when the option was for smaller camera's and bigger negs!

13. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Right, well like I said I'm not currently interested in moving over to MF, but thanks for your ideas anyway mate. I think I'll just stick with what I've got for a while and get myself that lovely 80-200 2.8.

PS How do you cope with digital then if you're up for nothing less than the quality of MF?

PPS Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Mod camera?

Cheers then.

ermx

14. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

yeh I'm not buying any camera gear, Im just waiting to sell my MF gear to buy a new digital camera once the 20MP barrier reaches handheld size.
    I love digital. True, i only have a small camera, but the money it saves me if phenominal, and i simply cant contimplate taking pictures without an LCD screen anymore, better then using polaroid to!
    The quality thing is an issue, I've never strived for image quality, to me its unimportant, but Grain is, i dont like it, and i like big prints.
    Which is why the medium format is for "proper" work and the digital is for play.
    the F80 is by no means a bad camera functionaly, but for me its terrible to use and the build quality hardley breeds confidence.

Mod cameras, are camera i modify, mostl;y these are Diana's and Holga's, as well the lomo camera's and other toy and novelty camera's etc.

15. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

I've never strived for image quality, to me its unimportant, but Grain is, i dont like it, and i like big prints. Which is why the medium format is for "proper" work and the digital is for play.

All my work is for play![​IMG]

I love grain! I shoot in the dark on Delta 3200 pushed 2 or 3 stops and make it 8x12 or 12x18![​IMG] You'd hate it!

ermx

16. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

17. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Hey you, spanked bottom time. I'm not that anal, you're just trying to twist my wit now. [​IMG]

I was serious anyway.

ermx

18. 0

0 Guest

> ... stick with your F80 ...

I think you should get the F100 and sell the F80 to me for a tenner. :)

Steve

19. neilford

neilford Well-Known Member

Nat and I both have F80s and we're very happy with them. Nat got hers and I bought mine shortly afterwards having used hers.

I'd say stick with the F80 and wait for digital slrs to drop to a sensible price. Unless of course you need the extra robustness the F100 or F5 would give you.

Of course, I haven't used an F100 or an F5, so take my comments with apinc of salt.

- Neil.
    http://www.smudgypixels.net/

20. Bazzac

Bazzac Well-Known Member

Don't do it ~ I'll give you £12

Baz