1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(to me) a photo that asks a question ...

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Done_rundleCams, Aug 18, 2021.

?

Is this photo cropped to tight, as per usual for my FAUXtos ?

This poll will close on Aug 18, 2022 at 11:14 PM.
  1. Yes ....d'uh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, not at all

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

the original was in colour and shot on Tuesday afternoon Aug17-21-AP-Tues-JSGP0411 copy 2.jpeg Cheers,
    Jack

Simon Leung and Zak52 like this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I don't know, there's a slight diagonal there with works, but the foreground and the mid-/background seem disconnected.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Mmm, not sure Jack. It depends what you excluded on the RHS. First impression is that it’s a shame the foot is cut off but there is clearly something, or someone to the right of the fallen man and possibly between him and the camera. That something may well be a distraction, but only you know. I don't find this overall “too tight” which is how I sometimes see your shots. You do pick some cheerful subjects though.

4. Done_rundleCams

Might the disconnect, Tony, be due to the background being slightly OOF (?).

Cheers,

Jack

5. Done_rundleCams

Yeah, I was a tad miffed that the foot was cut off, but, that was what I saw when I turned my gaze up the alley and, you are correct, Pete, there is
    someone or, at least, a portion of someone betwixt the two poles in the right foreground ... very good eyesight :) I had to check the original photo -- blue sock/shoe(?)

JSGP0411 copy.JPG

Thanks, re: crop :) and why I call Vancouver the No-Fun City ;)

Cheers,

Jack

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not really. More very poor eyesight. Sometimes, rarely, pics posted here get a black border infill on the page. I thought the real crop was very close to the ragged edge and that most of the black panel to the right was a browser artefact. Hadn't realised it was part of the picture at all.

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to move your man there to somewhere in the lines that are going towards the back so that his feet line up with the line coming from the first man's hands. But that would be a lie so I think you can leave it where it is and it's fine.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    EightBitTony likes this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Untitled-2.jpg

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's a function of the focus, just that they don't seem involved in the moment.

Anyway, I don't think it's a problem with the crop. I do wonder if I might prefer colour.

As social documentary it's as top notch as your other stuff! Certainly paints a picture!

10. Done_rundleCams

Ah ha, Pete, so you're able to see the unseen :eek: ...... very cool :). Where as, I see the obscene ;)

Cheers,
    Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

12. Done_rundleCams

Thanks very much, Tony :) and, as per your request ....

Aug17-21-AP-Tues-JSGP0411 copy.jpeg

Cheers,

Jack

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I like the diagonal in the original, and certainly is a story there, but I think you could do a vastly better mono conversion. Was it shot in raw?

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not too tight for me, and I prefer the mono by a long way. A great shot. Losing the foot doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
    I’m only looking on my phone but @Geren that edit looks really well done, but Im struggling to decide whether it improves it or not.

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It wasn't really well done at all - very much cobbled together and the cloning out, particularly in the shadow area leaves a lot to be desired. Also I'm with you - not sure it improves the story but ti's where I'd have hoped he'd walk in the first place. REally could be either/or for my money now that I've looked at it though.

16. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Mike :) and, nope, in jpeg, as per usual, and, I agree 100% that a better mono conversion could (should) have been done.

Cheers,
    Jack

17. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Nige :) and, most times, when looking at my pics, not looking too closely is a benefit :)
    Cheers,
    Jack

18. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Geren :), but, there was no cloning because, A), I don't believe in it and, B), it's not a feature in Preview which is what I use as my 'post processing' software ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Geren likes this.
  19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Given that degree of contrast, it is not a scene I'd attempt in jpeg.

20. Done_rundleCams

No choice, in the matter, Mike, as I only shoot jpgs :eek: ....... ;)

Cheers,

Jack