1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TL2

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by SAW, Sep 7, 2020.

1. SAW

SAW Active Member

Hi,

Been looking to get a TL2 for a while, I love the look and feel of it and while it's still expensive it's an affordable Leica ! Has anyone got one, what do you think of it and what lens(es) do you use ?

I would either probably go for the 23mm f/2 or the 11-23mm f/3.5-4.5. I like the prime but feel the zoom will be more versatile to start with ?

Thanks.

2. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

I'm thinking of going for a secondhand T myself. The used prices have fallen through the floor and you can get one in excellent condition for around 400 euro. Only problem is the lenses, which hold their value rather better. No way could I pick up a T plus 18mm f2.8 for less than a grand, I think.

What attracts me is the user interface. I've tried several DSLRs and high-end mirrorless bodies and they're all a nightmare to use. So many bloody settings. The way Leica do it on the T range is very intuitive, I think. I'd like to hear from someone who has used one for a while, and see what they think of that.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Neither of those cameras have an eye level finder. I really can't understand why anyone would spend all that money on something like that when there are many designs that are just as good for a fraction of the price. Given that most of the "lower cost" digital Leicas have been rebranded Panasonic designs, it would make sense to buy one of those. If you're attached to the APS format, then Fuji offer various excellent designs of both camera and lenses, again at a far lower price.

4. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

Yes, I know it has no finder (altho' there is an add-on one but it's expensive). The T series bodies are essentially used as you would use the camera app on your phone; that was the design philosophy from the ground up. I actually like that approach. With the screen on the T, everything is extremely clear. Most reviewers say that they didn't even open the manual.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I just don't get the price. In the film days, the high price of the Leica made sense. Indeed it wasn't that high, a M3 being on a par with a Nikon F, give or take a few pounds. What's more, the M3 was a very classy piece of kit. I've handled some of the digital Leicas and they don't, in my opinion, offer anything better than any of the leading brand models selling for a fraction of the price.

It all seems like a case of clever marketing supported by cognitive dissonance.

6. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

I agree with you there (although to be fair, the build quality is amazing). As I said above, for some reason the T has not held its value at all, and you can get a secondhand T body for not very much. If it held its value like other Leicas (e.g. the CL for some reason is very expensive used and never, ever drops below a certain level) then I wouldn't touch it.

I'm attracted to the idea of swooping in on a high-end product that essentially failed and can now be picked up for a song. This happened to the Nikon 1 range. They CERTAINLY weren't worth their price tags when they came out, but at their used prices they offer quite a lot.