1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of lugging around with a DSLR + lenses ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by J H Foto, Mar 31, 2015.

1. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

The Panasonic Lumix FZ 1000 bridge camera is a superb lightweight alternative. I can do anything a DSLR can do and more besides. Don't take my word for it take a look at my latest image in the Exhibition Lounge on this website.

2. brumtog

brumtog Member

I got fed up (and tired) of the big camera bag during my analogue years. I now have an FZ200 that does everything I want it to without the risk of a hernia or dislocated shoulder. I did look at the FZ1000 but decided the FZ200 was more to my (pocket's) liking. :cool:

3. J H Foto

I must admit the FZ1000 is not cheap but it is an amazing camera..When you think what it can replace it is a bargain......:)

4. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

It is undoubtedly very good quality but it doesn't replace a dslr, it is a different beast, or do more and it is rather expensive.

5. J H Foto

It does everything a DSLR can do.....

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Except...

Have a viewfinder that can keep up with fast moving objects
    Give you, as pointed out before, a hernia.
    And added camera shake.
    Collect dust on the sensor (you need a CSC for that)
    Go 'Clunk' when you take a picture
    Impress young and gullible DSLR owners

;)

I have a G5 and have been trying out an old Pentax K20D. I think I'll be sticking with the G5.

7. J H Foto

Have a viewfinder that can keep up with fast moving objects ....Yes
    Give you, as pointed out before, a hernia. ......No
    And added camera shake.....no problem
    Collect dust on the sensor (you need a CSC for that).....no
    Go 'Clunk' when you take a picture ... no more so than with DSLR
    Impress young and gullible DSLR owners.......?

8. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

Different photographers have different requirements and expectations when selecting a camera.

Other than a freebie Fuji S602 obtained via Freecycle, a Sony DSC-R1 bridge camera suited my style of digital photography for a good few years until my interests diversified.

Although the FZ1000 suits you and no doubt may more photographers and it's currently a very well specified super zoom bridge camera, there is no such thing as an ideal camera that suits everyone. For instance, for me, a lack of interchangeable lenses wouldn't let me use one of my favourite lenses, an 8mm fish eye.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  9. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

A truly superb piece of kit in its day and still very useable. I keep thinking I ought to sell mine on but I haven't yet got as far as biting the bullet. I find the waist level mode too useful...

[​IMG]

10. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

There's probably a fish eye lens adapter for it, you can even get them for mobile phone cameras (less said about the quality of the 'glass' the better :) ), still they're a lot of fun to use - shouldn't that be one of goals of any hobby? A proper fish eye lens would be nice though.

[​IMG]
    http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/MartyPG13/media/Camera2-2015-04-05-16-46-51.jpg.html

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If it works for you, great.

Wouldn't work at all for me:

Has it got a viewfinder I can use at all? No.
    Does it allow proper use of selective focus? No.
    Does it have a full frame to diagonal fisheye zoom? No.
    Does it have a 12mm equivalent wideangle setting? No.

Spent most of yesterday shooting with both my Pentax Q and EOS M. Was still a lot happier when I picked up my 6D for sunset shots - and it's never yet given me a hernia, for that matter. ;)

12. J H Foto

The FZ 1000 is a very capable alternative to DSLR cameras as I have already said, if like me you have carried DSLR + Lenses for many years but ill health makes carrying all this gear very difficult.
    I am very glad I made this change and wish I had done it much sooner.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

All fine and dandy, great for you, but it's still a very silly thing to say that it can do EVERYTHING a DSLR can do. It can't. It can be a better choice for some people, of course, but that's just not the same thing.

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

perhaps what was meant is "everything I can do with a DSLR" which isn't quite the same.

15. J H Foto

Whatever you say.................:cool:

16. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Oh! You mean one of these...

:D

[​IMG]

17. J H Foto

Distorted images ? Now why would I want to do that..?

18. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Yes, like that one.

There's is one neat trick with the phone adapter - it turns into a handy macro lens too:

[​IMG]

I suspect I'll end up with a Nikon mount fish eye lens at some point as it's one of the few things missing in my kit bag, I'm just not sure how much I'd use it.