1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to buy a Fuji X10?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by steviemac, Jun 20, 2012.

1. steviemac

steviemac Member

Hello, fairly new to this forum lark but using cameras for many years. I always loved my Olympus 35RC rangefinder and my old Canonet. Looking at Fuji X10 I like what I see. I've handled one and it fits my hands well ( Irish ancestry so big mits!) as opposed to my Panasonic LX3 which I love but is (a) small (b) has no viewfinder.

I see there are now some great deals on these cameras, ie John Lewis selling them for under £350. However, is there soon to be a replacement? and is all this stuff about 'orbs' really a problem? I'm not very techy but I like well made things. I don't worry about fashion or having the latest gear but I do like quality.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I believe it is the only compact with a manual zoom.

I was playing with one in Jessops (waiting for my A3 print to be sorted) felt nice. OVF ok.

I suggest you do the same.

Sadly the orbs issues is real. Seen examples of the problem. Sensor has been fixed. Hopefully you can source latest stock. If not you will have to send to Fuji for sensor swap.

3. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I would say its the best option around if you want a viewfinder. If you don't then maybe take a look at the new sony RX100 thats out at the start of july.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oh ho ho! Another one - I am not alone! {Except my digits are rather more to the delicate end of the scale and I have a LX2.} I share your pain. ;)

Another downside that I am encountering and am increasingly irritated by is the middle-age thing of finding minimum eye-focusing limits steadily increasing - and maybe my arms are shrinking, too. :rolleyes::eek:

Yes, I do realise I can wear reading glasses on an Edna Everidge-style sling around the neck but then that can result in a tangle when raising a camera to the eye and is not practical in some weather conditions. Hence my pleas (falling on deaf ears in Southend and Japan, apparently) for an Olympus Pen with an optical zoom viewfinder covering the 28-84 'standard' lens with an extra bright frame for the 34 pancake.

Another advantage of the X-10 is a zoom range of 28-112. :)

So last night, coincidentally, I was wandering around a few sites and had also noted the price reduction on the X10 to £349 ... plus ... the less happy fact that the X1-Pro appears to have gone up in price to £1900 with a lens! :( Don't know if a successor to the X-10 is on the way. May be time for an e-mail to Fuji as I also have a tech question about the X1-Pro's viewfinder and future lenses.

Don't know too much about the 'orb' thing to which you refer. Is this relating to a particular 'bokeh' effect of that lens? The X-10's lens, IIRC, has a seven blade, near circular diaphragm.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  5. rolloxan

rolloxan Active Member

I doubt the succession of a new model this close to the X10 release. With the X series cameras, Fuji has taken a slower, surer product development strategy. The firmware updates for all of the X series cameras run in every 2 months or so on average, so it looks like they've got quite a few teams working on 'repair' as opposed to 'replace'.

Even with the orbs issue, I'd go ahead and purchase it. It is by all rights a fantastic piece of kit. Just don't forget to look at the X100 either! Albeit more expensive, the recent 1.30 firmware update has made it a helluva street camera. But that's my (rather unhelpful) two cents. :)

6. 0lybacker

Just have. Are you forgetting something? :confused:;)

No viewfinder. {Another one! :(}

7. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

You've lost me?

8. 0lybacker

OP wants a digi-cam with a viewfinder.

(As do I. :))

9. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

OK i missed that, x10 it is then!

10. steviemac

steviemac Member

Well thank you one and all for the advice. I really like the camera so will probably treat myself. I will try to find out if the one I buy is a later model.

I'm not sure how the upgrages work, do you have to send the camera back or is it something you can download online? (said I knew nowt about technology) I never made any upgrades to my Panasonic LX3 but that seemed fine. When the LX5 came out I thought it didn't seem wothwhile spending to upgrade.......it would seem I have become my parents!

11. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Maybe this might help?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/26/Fujifilm-X10-white-orb-update

and this

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...graphers-revamped-sensor-to-quash-white-discs

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  12. pwhitcombe

pwhitcombe Well-Known Member

Just bought an X10 from Park Cameras, new stock. Love it!! Looked at the X100, which is excellent, but wanted the flexibility of the zoom. X Pro 1 unfortunately out of price bracket...unless I sell the 7D!

13. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

You could always win one :)

14. 0lybacker

Prices and stock seem ... rather variable. Had an on-line trawl last night around some dealers who have X10s but no 1 Pros or have 1 Pros but no X100s & X10s and some who have no Fujis and are no longer listing them.

Some dealers seem to have put prices up on the X-1 Pro, others are close to the launch SRP while one or two are actually discounting further. I've seen the X-10 at £599 but £349 is available on online offer only and in-store, as in your deal above.

Caveat emptor. Happy hunting, OP!

[Apologies - not quite sure how the double quote happened - don't think it was me. Maybe the NatWest computer glitch is catching ...]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  15. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

At under £400, the Fuji seems to trounce the Canon G12, so long as you don't want a tilt/swivel screen.

16. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Just taken deliver of my son-in-law's x10. I'd like to open the box and play with it but that seems unfair.:(

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

go on...you know you want to.....
    I had a play with one in Currys on Saturday....mmmm........:eek::D

18. LargeFormat

I know I do and you're not helping.:D:D

19. 0lybacker

You won't be able to watch the look on HIS face when he opens up the packaging and the box ... :(

... but when he gets home you could offer to help by opening it all up for him and clearing away the mess. ;):)

You never know - he might say yes! :D

20. LargeFormat

Trouble is he lives in Kenya. He had it delivered to me as my daughter is passing through and can collect it.