1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Time for an upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by muzza65, May 25, 2020.

1. muzza65

muzza65 Well-Known Member

Time for a new laptop, I have been saving up for the past year, i'm looking to spend around £1200. I'm at a bit of a loss on what to go for. Obviously it needs to run PS, I do from time to time do video editing from my gopro.
    I know I want a 15.6" screen, I find this size comfortable. In saying that I could try a 17" for a change.
    I've also heard the new (new to me anyway) SDD hard drives are faster than old fashion drives.

That's about as far as I go when it comes to specs of a machine, i'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think it reasonable to assume that you want your new computer to run Windows, is that correct?

3. muzza65

muzza65 Well-Known Member

Sorry, yes correct a windows.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Unless you have some unmentioned requirements that is a generous budget. Try browsing the John Lewis web site, avoid the Chromebooks as they do not run Windows which is needed for PS. Yes SSD drives are fast, reliable, and good value for money. Also don't forget that you could attach any size of screen via a standard HDMI cable including a TV screen. My wife finds this very useful for ZOOM meetings.

5. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

My son,who`s doing a Masters at Swansea University,bought a Lenovo lap top running Win10 to use for College work.

It`s a bit on the heavy side and it`s high spec .I don`t know details but he`s well pleased with it.
    That cost him around £1200.

Not owning a printer,he`s constantly asking me to print for him!:)

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think we had someone on here with a laptop that had no HDMI port only USB-C. can’t remember if there was a converter cable or whether this restricted the monitor that could be used.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

In my case it's a granddaughter!:):)

swanseadave likes this.
  8. PeteRob

My HP Officejet supports remote printing through some HP server. I’ve never tried it but in principle you can print to it from anywhere if you know how. All it has to do is be on-line and listening (for a call from HP) on the network.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have an Epson that can be similarly accessed but I don’t actually see the point. Many years ago I had the ability to use almost any company printer from my desk. I never really saw the point of being able to print a document in New York when I was in London, being able to print in New York while I was there had some merit.

10. PeteRob

I agree, for me, but if my grandson was in the position of needing something printing, it would be much easier for me to limit my activity to collecting what came out of the printer than mess about printing stuff for him.