1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Three Cheers for Lockdown!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by SXH, Sep 30, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, not really, it's definitely doing my head in a bit. However...

One good thing about it is that I have been spending a lot less, so my bank account is quite healthy and my credit cards paid off. Plus this month is the one that I get two state pension payments, so...

My little Lumix LF1 is on the way out, certain controls tend to misbehave a bit. This is not surprising as it has spent four and a bit years bouncing around in my jacket pocket nearly every day. So, obviously a good time to look for a replacement.

My needs are not that controversial, IMO. Reasonable size (for pocket duty), reasonable price (no need to go mad with the credit card), an EVF and a zoom lens that stretches to about 200mm (35mm equivalent). So I spent some time browsing. Not controversial? Phooey. I found one camera that is anywhere near what I want. A Lumix TZ100, which is going cheap(er) these days as the 200 is out. Those nice people at Ffordes were pleased to sell me one.

It's not perfect. It's significantly larger than the LF1. Still fits in my pocket, but bulges a bit. And it's heavier - 312g rather than 192g. However, it feels good and well made, has an extra 50mm on the zoom (250mm eq) over the LF1 and has a much bigger sensor - a 1" jobby - with half a dozen more MP.

So this morning on my early walk to the newsagents, I gave it a quick test. The light was variable but generally not good, so the pics have needed a bit of fettling.

00006ces.jpg
    Church

00011ces.jpg
    Council Offices

00015ces.jpg
    A Different Leaf

I think, once I get used to the differences (oh, it has a 3x2 rather than 4x3 sensor too) and get it set up just right, I am going to enjoy using this new piece of kit.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The leaves look very nice. The church looks more like a crematorium. I blame the architect for that rather than you or your camera!

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's an unrealised (by me!) advantage of a bigger sensor - slightly reduced DoF - on the LF1, they'd all be sharp.
    It's a Congregational Church - maybe they have some belief that churches shouldn't be too fancy?

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've been using Panasonic Travelzooms for years. I have a TZ70 in my pocket at the moment, which I "inherited" when my wife upgraded to a TZ90. They may not provide the finest images but they're great for capturing something when the opportunity arises. :D

Friendly cat on wall TZ70 P1030492.JPG

Frog in the garden TZ40 1020277.JPG

Pigeons kissing in silhouette TZ70 P1030357.JPG

Three men on bench outside Sidmouth Market TZ70 P1030382.JPG