1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Matt88, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Matt88

Matt88 New Member

Hey everyone. I’m an amateur photographer and was struggling to find somewhere to showcase my work. Then I thought would people want a place to show their work and also to potentially sell their work for free?

Would you find a website like this useful? Basically lost your work and then sell it through a website. Or does this already exist?? Just a thought really.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Selling for free seems a bit of a contradiction.

Yes, there are sites where you can show your pictures and which come with built-in print sales. They probably take a commission. Otherwise the whole point of picture libraries is that what is there is for sale, usually with a range of licence options, and usually taking a commission.

3. Matt88

Matt88 New Member

Hi PeteRob, thanks for the reply. I meant you/me as the photographer can sell your work but the website doesn’t take a commission.

4. PeteRob

I think that is wishful thinking, but it is not unreasonable for them to charge for handling all the billing and delivery etc. I think the likes of Photobucket and Smugmug do and sales are probably coming to Flickr at some point. You can already make books from Flickr and sell on Blurb.

5. Matt88

Matt88 New Member

I could build a website that did this if you don’t think one exists??

6. Matt88

Matt88 New Member

I could build a website that did this if you don’t think one exists??

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

You could, and I'm all for enterprising activities and if you can build a website and attract photographers to it then all kudos to you. But what are you getting out of it? And what exactly are you selling, how, and to whom? I already have my own website and can sell prints or digital files from there without having to pay anyone a commission. I get to choose which papers I use for which prints, whether or not I want leave that decision to someone else and just sell them the digital file, change my mind about print sizes or which printer I use and so on. I take payment by Paypal or credit card - or can arrange to meet someone locally at the pub and take cash. In other words I have full flexibility in how I choose to sell. I also have full visibility of the fees incurred for selling this way. For stock photography I think I'd be much more likely to go with Alamy or the like because that's where potential buyers will be looking. What will make them look at your site instead? How are you going to make anything out of selling my stuff 'for free'?

AlanW likes this.
  8. PeteRob

You need to think about the implications. It is a business activity. E-commerce is not free. There is a responsibility/liability associated with retail transactions. You have strong requirements on data protection. There would have to be some legal entity. I would be very surprised if there were not regulations to be met on holding, for example, client money in the gap between taking customer payment and paying the client even if this was a short time. It would need to be secure.

Messy.

Edit: as Geren just said. Personal web-sites are available already.

9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Or more likely stolen without a fee? Especially if you put the full size images on the website.
    Also, be prepared for the problem that many people think that any images they find online are 'free' and would never be prepared to pay for them.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Flickr.
    Instagram.
    Facebook.

?