1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Photos

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Amy0345111, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Amy0345111

Amy0345111 New Member

Hi,

Just wanted some overall feedback and advice on some of these photos that I took recently (just wanting to know how I could make it better, add interest etc.) Used a Nikon B500(coolpix). Many thanks.

RogerMac likes this.
  2. Amy0345111

Amy0345111 New Member

Sorry but having issues adding photo. Can anyone help as uploading won't load it.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I believe that the software has a lock on including images on a first post but how many posts one has to make is not published. So we may have to sit and chat for a short while
    .Nice camera the Coolpix my daughter has one and often she gets better images than I do with a load of gear. It's all in the eye!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Amy, there are 2 ways to show photos here. The way that doesn't involve editing is to put the picture on a photo-sharing site like Flickr. Then using the share button choose option BBCode and in the dialogue box under the link choose the medium size option with 800 in it. Then copy the whole link and paste it in your intended post. When you submit the post the picture will appear here.

The second way is to use a photo-editor to resize the picture to 800 pixels on the largest edge. Most have this option under a command probably called export, or perhaps as part of the print dialogue. It’s not usually under the save dialogue to prevent people overwriting the original picture. This will give better, or rather more consistent, results than flickr resizing. Once you have the 800 pixel picture use the upload a file button. After a little while a choose file dialogue box opens. Choose the file. After a few moments a box opens in the left corner of the post. Choose full size image. The picture will then open.

As said above there are some anti-spam measures to stop people filling the forum with rubbish and making more work for the moderators. This may restrict the direct upload route which in any case has a size limit.

It is best to post one picture per post if you want comment. The best place to put it, especially if you have been a few times is in Appraisals. Putting in Exhibition won’t get useful feedback - the only comment allowed is variants on “nice”. If you put it in Beginners or Introductions it is the same, the most you’ll get is polite words. The reason for this is to be sure that people understand that they ask for critique by posting in Appraisals. Unexpected critique can be hurtful - no-one likes their baby being called ugly!

There is an area of the forum called gallery where you can showcase as many pictures as you want (the space limit depends on participation - anti-spam again) but I don’t think many people who discuss pictures on here look at the gallery section.

Anyway, Welcome. There are daily and monthly challenges running which are good fun (in Forum Competitions and themes) and in Exhibition there are several topic led “post your own .... “ picture posts, though as I said before these won't get critique comments. Enjoy!

6. Amy0345111

Amy0345111 New Member

RogerMac likes this.
  7. PeteRob

That worked a treat! Looks like a cold day! The cormorants have clearly given up with that sea running.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hi Amy and welcome to the forum. I had the same camera as you at one point - it's a nice one!

As far as feedback goes there are a couple of things that you could do to improve this - or if you have editing software, you could fix it now.

First of all, the horizon is sloping. If you look at where the sea meets the sky you can see that the water is sloping off to the left. I find it almost impossible to get this correct in camera no matter how careful I am so I usually end up fixing it with software later. Something to do with my dodgy eyes and general squintness I expect ;-)

Secondly you have included just the very edge of a sign on the right hand side. I'd have moved the camera to the left or moved myself a tiny bit so that it wasn't in shot, but you can also fix this with editing software after the fact.

Those two things would tidy this up a lot and make a surprising difference.

If I were being really picky, I'd ask you to think about what the photograph is 'of'. At the moment, there's a lot of visual weight in that dark post and a lot of blank sky area. I think the cormorants are the star of this particular show and so I would probably crop it so that the post went, there was less sky and the cormorants were closer to being on a third in the frame which brings the attention back to them. Something like this:

Untitled-1.jpg

Hope that helps! (By the way you can put images into Appraisal and they may get more views and more help that way!)

John Farrell and RogerMac like this.
  9. PeteRob

Thank you for that, I was on my way to do that and make the same two points - but got distracted !

10. PeteRob

This is my go at it - ordinarily this would only be done in Appraisals. I levelled the sea and cut out the sign but kept the post. I darkened the sea and tried to separate the spray on the sea-wall a bit better.

not mine sea.jpg

John Farrell likes this.
  11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Where was this taken? It reminds me of a very windy day on the northern coast of Madeira over 20 years ago.

The cropping to remove the sign on the right, and rotation to level the horizon, are also the two things I would do first. If you plan to have some large prints done from your images so that they can go on a wall, you will quickly learn to look for things like this because they are much more obvious on a larger image. After that, adjustments to brightness/darkness and contrast are a personal preference, but often subtle adjustments can make a great difference, as PeteRob has shown (above).

If you have a few more images to share, consider starting a member's gallery on this website, but only upload image you have resized to 800-1000 pixels on the longer side. I don't know what software you have used to resize this shot, but if it is new to you be very careful to always use 'save as' after resizing so that you don't accidently change the original image. If you want to experiment a lot with adjustments, it is safer to copy the original, rename it and work with that version.

12. Michal

Michal Member

I think I'd straighten the horizon and maybe crop it to remove the post :)

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I wouldn't the various posts are vertical the horizon isn't entirely horizontal because the sea is rough and the waves are obscuring the true horizon.