1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not to mention surgeons, dentists, workers in clean rooms (eg building satellites) and so on.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've treied on mine. The posh one is OK but I wouldn't want to wear it too long because of the toggles behind my ears. The 'surgica' ones have bloomin long ties which I've experimented with by tying knots and making them loop around my ears. I am in danger of poking my eyes out though, if I bend down or it slips up. I've tried a nice scarf I have which is not too long and fairly light. I think that's going to be it!

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Their masks tend to be white, not black. Black masks are obviously much cooler/sexier/better. :cool:

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Black masks matter

DaveM399 and dream_police like this.
  5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As a wishy-washy liberal, I've gone for grey - 'washed charcoal' according to the catalogue...
    40141cess.jpg

Washable, silver-impregnated organic cotton, double layer with a pocket for a third. From here. :oops: They threw in a copy of their catalogue too. :eek:;)

Zou likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Surprised you can breathe through that!

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The mask itself is pretty thick, so I keep the catalogue separate... ;)

EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm using a buff as a face covering. I wore it the other day and I said to my wife that everybody was staring at me. She said it was because I looked menacing. I said I'd take it off then and she said no, as I would look even more menacing.

LesleySM, neilt3 and AndyTake2 like this.
  9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Some useful info on the effectiveness of different materials etc. here:
    https://scitechdaily.com/seeing-is-...eness-in-mitigating-transmission-of-covid-19/

https://scitechdaily.com/32-cloth-m...tional-institute-of-standards-and-technology/

For those who use an N95 mask but want it to last more than a single use, the information in this study shows that simple microwave steaming with distilled water works well, with the ability to extend the life of the filter to up to a month.
    https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/3/e00997-20

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Yeah , but their communists too ! :p

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, but there is usually an overlap when talking about small-c communism, not big-C.

12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I thought that was the standard assumption about anyone with a different appearance or opinion than yourself over there !
    Reds under the beds , and all that .
    Who said the cold wars over ?
    Sounds like a conspiracy to me .
    If it's not the commies it's probably aliens ...:confused::rolleyes:;)

13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I think I have strange ears! I now have 4 different types of mask and everyone of them keeps popping off my ears!

A scarf works a lot better and if I could find mine I'd use a snood

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The Gwyneth Paltrow of masks?

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Thought about looking for my snood but it is somewhere in the bedroom and looking at the bedroom I decided it was quicker to order a couple of cheap ones from ebay!

Catriona likes this.
  16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My wife has ears like that. I suggested that I staple a mask to her head. She wasn't that keen.
    A friend has made a load of masks that tie behind the head so she has those to wear now.

17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of cashmere neck warmers (a company that does recycled cashmere products) and when it was colder, I wore these and just pulled them up on my face and buried my nose in them.
    I remember reading that the virus doesn't like woolly surfaces and prefers shiny ones - which makes me wonder about all that PPE in hospitals - so what to do? I think I'm going to rely on my scarf (like Lesley above) and just wash it frequently.

18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Every time I put a mask on I feel like shouting "STAND AND DELIVER!"

Bloody family... the Turpin blood will out! (yep, Turpins from the same village as Dick on both sides)

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Dick Turpin's favourite ice cream?

Standard vanilla.

It's OK, I didn't have my coat with me.

20. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that the report deals with attitudes in the USA where 'communist' is a catch-all epithet...........

Lynn