1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Just remember that there are plenty of other "germs" that nobody gives two hoots about and they haven't gone away.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53218704

Here's one for you.
    Not sure what China have going, but they seem to breed some really good germs:eek:

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Given that France and Spain both have cases from earlier in 2019 than China had, is it fair to blame China? ;)

MJB likes this.
  5. Catriona

Reported cases? Acknowledged cases? China did appear to be in denial to start with.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Denial? Reported to WHO, locked down swiftly and effectively, warned the international community about it, sent huge amounts of tests, PPE etc. and promised to share freely any vaccine they could develop.

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. Catriona

Arrested a whistleblower who later died?

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't recall him being arrested. My understanding was he leaked a report which (incorrectly) stated that there were SARS cases, when in fact we know now that it was the new virus, following which he was officially admonished. Chinese authorities subsequently exonerated him as the circumstances around the 'leaking' became clear (he didn't leak it but a colleague he shared it with did).

Interesting that in America several corona whistleblowers/critics have been sacked without much media attention over here.

Edit to add, Chinese doctor and several of his colleagues died of covid-19 related issues. It's not like he walked into the woods to "shoot himself" or "zipped himself in a sports holdall." :rolleyes:

9. Catriona

Perhaps I'd feel more charitable if the Chinese had accepted inspection of their Lab. Still, I guess if it was the other way round, probably neither the USA nor the UK would accept that either (especially Porton Down).

neilt3 likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And why should they? French and now Spanish scientists have now identified covid-19 in samples from as early as March 2019, so there remains zero evidence that it was a 'product' of China.

neilt3 likes this.
  11. AndyTake2

Come on, everything is manufactured in China now:D

Maybe it was outsourced :confused:

The UK has BSE, maybe France has a claim to Covid 19, but I doubt they'd want the honour

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have read November 2019 in Italy. Where is the report from as early as March 2019? Is the report reliable?

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Learning likes this.
  14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I looked up facemasks from Boots, which are now easily available. But their site does make it clear that are almost completely useless and really only stop bacteria.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Indeed, but obviously a significant discovery if it can be confirmed.

17. AndyTake2

And cost a small fortune into the bargain:confused:

18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

The cheap paper type won't stop the virus, but they should stop the fluid droplet the virus is sitting in in a cough.

19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

If the US part of the Graun is anything to go by it is not masculine to wear a face mask. Add to that 'only communists wear face masks'.....................

Lynn

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Rubbish. So do anarchists and many shades of freedom fighters! :rolleyes:

Catriona likes this.