1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We don't know what the chances are of getting the best available treatment is in our local hospitals.
    What is the chance of getting that effective antiviral at an early stage of the disease when it is most effective? Its in short supply and likely to be expensive. Are all medics up to speed on treating the various effects of the virus?
    We do know that survival rates are increasing but is that just because a lot of particularly vulnerable people have died?
    I prefer crossing that road when there is a decent chance of doing so unscathed.

Catriona likes this.
  2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Once we are left with only the asymptomatic and those who are immune, the world can relax the lockdown and other "control" measures........

TBH after 16 weeks, I'd have thought that we ought to be in the clear by now, and it is of concern that maybe the virus is living for a long time in people who are showing no symptoms. I wonder how long it can survive in an asymptomatic person?

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A friend years ago criticised another friend for his stance on the Israel-Palestinian issue claiming by not agreeing with what Israel where doing he was "antisemitic"
    Reply "Semite is a race, Judaism is a religious belief and Zionism is a political system"

4. Learning

Semites are members of any of various ancient and modern peoples originating in southwestern Asia, including the Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, Arabs, and Palestinians.

5. LesleySM

As a friend of mine said "How can Arabs be accused of being anti-semite when they're effing semites!"

Roger_Provins, neilt3 and Catriona like this.
  6. Learning

If we had not locked down and if having had the disease one became immune or dead then by now we might have been well on the way towards herd immunity. Around one percent i.e.about 600,000 people would have died from it. In such a scenario I almost certainly would not be around to argue with the forum's survivors.
    Daft Biker Mike might well have survived albeit with risk of permanent damage however he might have been happy. All those old people no longer putting strain on the NHS or pension systems. Lots of dwellings available. Lots of money inherited by the young spendthrifts would help the economy.

7. Learning

If your friend used the term at the end of your quote then your friend seems to be an anti Semite.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh my. You want to live forever?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Footloose, LesleySM and neilt3 like this.
  9. LesleySM

He was just mad at the other person for assuming Arabs weren't semites. Jim is the World's biggest pedant!

neilt3 and Catriona like this.
  10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'm yet to read in anyone's holy book where it says " thou shalt bomb the crap out of your neighbour ".
    How anyone can agree with what's going on there is beyond me .
    Yet everyone stands by and let's it happen .
    That's not an anti-Semitic reply , this is 2020 , not the middle ages .
    What's happening there is just plain wrong .

Same thing happens anywhere else in the world , we send our army's in , swiftly followed by the Americans blowing us up by mistake .

There's more people been killed in the name of religion than any political war .

That's the Sunday sermon over .

Trannifan, LesleySM and Catriona like this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Same thing; religion is easier to sell than greed when asking/telling your young folk to die for it.

neilt3 and Catriona like this.
  12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, and many of them from when they were a bit loose with what counted as a covid19 death? Still, the deaths per month appear to be more than the norm.

Catriona likes this.
  13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

How much hate do you see for white Muslims?

It's racism because the people exhibiting it don't distinguish between race and religion.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

My sister has experienced it in her Asian dresses. She married a Muslim and embraces their traditions just like she always has with Christmas and Easter celebrations.

I don't believe she is any more Christian or Muslim than me however she chooses to dress on a particular day.

15. Learning

I have heard conversion being regarded as radicalisation. The only convert I know converted because of marriage.
    In some quarters there is suspicion about white Muslims.

16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Not a lot , but there again I've not witnessed much "hate" directed at black or Asian Muslims . Apart from on the news .
    But from a statistics point of view , white Muslims are a very small minority , so would be seen less .
    How much have you witnessed ?

Ignorant prejudice due to colour or race , or country someone's from , I've witnessed that ( and delt with it ) . That is racism .

As I said " ignorant prejudice " .
    Too thick to understand the difference .
    But then again , that is your typical racist !

17. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

SWMBO and I crossed part way yesterday! For the first time since lockdown began we visited a friend. We haven't seen her for a very long time - when she had short hair!!! Went 'round the back' , sat on her balcony which just about allows two meters, and drank tea.

It felt like a big adventure.

MickLL

MJB, IvorETower and Catriona like this.
  18. Learning

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Wonderfully ironic, isn't it:).

...much like the Tories trying to ban face coverings a few years ago and then making folk wear them now.