1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if Nice was influenced by possible future shortages, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen the research they are basing their recommendation on, so I can't comment on that. It is supposedly to stop addiction although the alternatives are, I would have thought, more addictive. Of course, there nothing to stop people buying paracetamol or aspirin at the supermarket or chemist at a much lower cost than getting them through a prescription. So cost might be a big factor as well.
    PS I buy my own paracetamol and take one each night to get some sleep!

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Are they still deemed to be excellent? I have one but the rest of my family are not sure and I have taken to wear a mask over the top.

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I have a plastic face shield that clips to my glasses, yet when I went into Tesco last week they insisted I wore one of the loops over the ears cloth ones, is that really essential?

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I am having fun with a face mask I got from a local shop it has the pattern of a certain leaf printed on it (as Kara in the Bells said "WOW! A weed mask!")

I've had a few people say "You've got a cannabis leaf mask?"
    And been able to reply "Huh? I just got it because I liked the pattern is that what is? WAIT! How do you know?!"

The funniest one was a very posh consultant who said "I like that. Cannabis leaf. I could do with some"

SqueamishOssifrage and Learning like this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The idea is to protect other people if you cough/sneeze/talk etc. A properly fitting cloth mask offers some filtration whereas a visor just deflects the air flow sideways. That said a lot of people wear very ill-fitting masks that will stop nothing. The shop also has to have simple rules or they just get arguments about - "he/she hasn't got one so why should I" which are impossible to deal with.

Fen likes this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

They have an anti-viral coating. You don't need a mask over the top. Also washable up to five times.

https://www.virustaticshield.com/

Have a look at the FAQs.

S

Bazarchie likes this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

But after this accidental pandemic there will be more in quick succession. You can bet your boots that evil people in rogue states are already working on them.

8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Or bats in deep caves.

Learning and steveandthedogs like this.
  9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Meanwhile Public Health England are no doubt patting themselves on the back over the sugar tax for childrens' drinks, and wondering what else they can find to put extra tax on.

I really fear that the UK Government will not learn any lessons from the current pandemic, nor take steps to prepare for another one in the future

Zou likes this.
  10. PeteRob

Possibly people mistake them for the "what-ever-it-is-called" that pulls over the head which I wear as a neck warmer when cycling.

When I have to wear a mask I also wear double (two) neck warmers and pull them up over the mask to better hold the mask in place. When I was in the ambulance the other week I was given a standard medical style mask with behind the ears loops and it really was flimsy and didn't fit well. There was no sense of breathing through it, only around the sides. My mask was in my cycling vest pocket and generally takes a while to put on because it ties behind the head - hearing aids and glasses make the behind-the-ear fastenings difficult and uncomfortable if they are tight.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Snood?

12. PeteRob

Yes - you’re right. They are marketed as snoods even though a snood, strictly, is a hairnet specifically for containing long hair in work environments.

Zou likes this.
  13. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

The only lessons they'll be caring about are the ones on how they can make more money out of a dire situation :(

WillieJ, steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Of course. Nothing new there. We had better not disturb them.