1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

So in fact you have bugger all left then.;)

MJB, John Farrell and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I was hoping to leave that implied, you monster.

MJB and dream_police like this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That'll do. ;)

dream_police likes this.
  4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

If folk start shielding again I'll go out an walk their dogs and battle the crowds. And go collect prescriptions for them....and fix their wheelbarrows....or whatever else needs done to give them less to worry about.

The Scottish Government has just (today I think) introduced a scheme to help folk get their bikes going. There isn't a participating shop near me but I doubt there are many bikes left to fix round here anyway as I've been doing it for months....people round town donated bikes for me to sell for charity and the ones that were beyond repair got stripped for parts to fix other bikes coming in. It saved on landfill and made thousands without costing the taxpayer a penny.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/ScotCycle...I72aLyzDLMJV2W64KGnzzAsW6AhcmACNcLLw26wNb2y2M

Hopefully a free helmet scheme will follow and remain as I get the impression head injuries from cycling are up. (maybe there is one?)

It's the law I have to wear a mask and do.....one I found;)

I'm tempted to buy one with "Waste resources. Delay the inevitable." on it.

PS. what do you think would be the more successful election strategy....tell folk they are screwed or give them false hope? Ask Boris that:)

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think it's partly an unfair comparison. I drive a car. I still care about my neighbours and I still wear a mask. Can I do everything? Can I fix everything? Can I stop causing all the problems I cause? No. Can I do some things? Can I make a small difference? Yes. Should I not even make a small difference because in other areas I can make no difference? I think not.

I haven't been 'influenced' by the government. I'm influenced by the science and I'm following the law and government guidance. Being influenced by something, and behaving in a way which is both legally required and also strongly encouraged isn't the same thing.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. Catriona

I suspect a lot of people who don't think they have been influenced by the Government are unaware of the manipulation and psychology which has been used by the Government to deflect criticism of them and the state of the NHS.
    The NHS which is now in an either/or status of caring for the population as a whole, or being in a care in isolation of CV19 patients.
    The population has been manipulated into clapping for the NHS instead of demanding to know why we don't have enough professionals to prevent excessive shift patterns for nurses, and equipment available in Europe and beyond in our hospitals.
    Why not criticise the Government for putting us in a situation where normal care services are no longer available?

People have been influenced by propaganda. It has deflected criticism of the Government and NHS organisers by conning us into a gung-ho wartime we're all in it together mentality, where any criticism is seen as unpatriotic in our fight against this enemy (the virus) instead of the enemy being mismanagement, understaffing, money put to buddies instead of truly boosting active staff numbers and training.
    It has been an excellent example of population manipulation.

daft_biker and John Farrell like this.
  7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you believe any of that applies to me? But if you do believe it applies to me, then I can plainly state you're wrong.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

To keep the NHS permanently funded, equipped and staffed for a world-wide pandemic, bearing in mind that the last true pandemic was over a hundred years ago, would be prohibitively expensive and a waste of resources.

9. Catriona

So it is better to deal with 1% of the population and ignore 99%? To have Nightingale hospital space empty but block hospitals from the rest of the population? So many exceptions we just have to accept? Do we have to wait until there are no CV19 patients at all in hospitals before other services can resume? If that is the case, the NHS has well and truly failed.

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think the pandemic may well be making some managers smile - orthopaedics, geriatrics...basically anything that isn't covid19 related is on a slow track, so the finance managers are not likel to complain. Even worse, I bet the Tory party are laughing their nuts off - restrict everything, reduce costs, make plans to sell the NHS to their bloody mates:(

11. Catriona

Precisely. Thank you for responding. I was growing a bit sick of people thinking I was not supporting the NHS as an organisation. I'm relieved you see the situation as I do - and it's dire for us all. Wait for the screams in 6 months time from the others.

daft_biker likes this.
  12. Catriona

and so it starts.

Just read in The Times how Nice are advocating no painkillers to be prescribed for people with chronic pain. They say alternative treatments such as acupuncture and exercise should be advised instead.
    Now of course I don't get paracetamol or aspirin or anti inflamatory drugs on prescription (can't take the anti inflamatory ones anyway). It's just that yet another thing slips in whilst everyone is paying attention elsewhere. Scotland's pain management servies have not been available for the last 4 months. They will start again (they say) as soon as it is safe to do so. How bloomin safe is that? I think at present we only have 2 or 3 people in ICU with CV19 related symptoms in the whole of Scotland. Not exactly pushed, are they?
    Here on the IoL we have one main hospital. It has had NO patients admitted with CV19, yet every other service has been suspended - apart from vaccinations for babies. No clinics, no mental health services, no dental services etc etc. It's grim.

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Well I'm on antidepressants And painkillers, so WTF will they do with me? :eek:

14. Catriona

I'd get a few renewals fast and chat with your GP. It's a ridiculous situation.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Fortunately, my Statins and Diuretics are on repeat - I just get the pharmacy to sort it. Mind you, one is on an eight week cycle, the other twelve, so I get some regular exercise walking to the pharmacy. Which is further away than the health centre... :rolleyes:

Catriona likes this.
  16. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

It's a good thing that the US doesn't have an NHS system. :D

Catriona likes this.
  17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't think anyone in the UK would agree with you. American health care is rubbish unless you are stinking rich. We are not going to take any lessons from Bozo Trump's USA about health care.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Depending on the cause of the chronic pain. Pain relief will still be prescribed to most people. My wife's medication for her CRPS are epilepsy treatments, and muscle relaxants rather than opoids and NSAIDs anyway. Diazapam (formerly Valium) is very good for pain relief.

19. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Not true.. I get good health care and I'm not rich nor are many others that are not rich. You're hearing either one side or the other but not the truth.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Is that more about Brexit shortages or covid though?

Catriona likes this.