1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

I supplied facts.. you didn't. The only way this works if there's use of mask and social distancing.I understand the solution and you don't

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Vietnam has fared rather well with masks and targetted isolations.

MJB likes this.
  3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

An article I came across suggested that one reason for the small number of cases in South East Asia was the large number of bat species there, and possible community exposure to bat coronaviruses over a long period.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Plus previous experience of SARS etc. has left them serious about virus containment rather than cavalier, arrogant and callous.

Trannifan and MJB like this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Probably the commonplace use of masks in cities anyway due to pollution and respect for when the government asks the people to do something is a major impact. That's the view of my Seoul based daughter anyway.

Zou likes this.
  6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

About as well as our Island communities have without masks?

Wonder how things will go with kids going back to school and visiting grandparents again.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Hanoi population : 8 million in 3,300km²

Shetland Islands : 23,000 in 1,400km²

Comparing apples and oranges.

Craig20264 and Zou like this.
  8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Just checked Vietnam's active cases.....looks like masks might have just delayed the inevitable.

Time will tell but either way I don't like the idea of putting all our eggs in the waiting on a vaccine basket. I'll take my chances so others don't have to.

Derek W likes this.
  9. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

What do you mean by “take my chances so others don’t have to”

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  10. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I had to pick something up from my local M&S which meant going into the shopping mall for the first time since lock down.

There seemed to be more people without masks than there were with masks, also everyone that I saw were ignoring the signage of which direction to go and entrance/exit to use.

Social distancing in the mall and M&S? none existent.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

At the local wee garden centre today, first time in a "non-essential" shop since March. Felt odd. Just about everyone wearing face coverings, but some poor distancing on display.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Clearly Andrew you will not wear a mask to be less dangerous to others after you get the disease due to your reckless behaviour.
    https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/07/418181/one-more-reason-wear-mask-youll-get-less-sick-covid-19 That will not convince you to wear a mask either.
    Boris changed his mind about the seriousness of the disease and the desirability of wearing masks. A similar experience to that suffered by Boris I suspect is the only thing that might convince you.

13. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Tesco removed the direction of flow arrows at two of my local stores, and I’ve noticed the number of shoppers increased since the new mask guidelines were introduced.

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I have to wonder whether all of you who are so concerned about your neighbour's health actually stop and think how you affect their wellbeing in other ways? Do you worry about all the pollution from your purchasing power? Your food production coming from abroad, your cars, your white goods manufacture and disposal of etc etc. I think those who profess to be so very concerned about passing on the virus do not realise quite how influenced they have been by Government proclamations. I find it hard to accept they give a toss about me and only wanted to hide how bad our health services had become, and were having nightmares about bodies in corridors.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm certainly having less impact on them than they are on us.
    • Only house on the street with no car is us
    • Visual estimation suggests we produce less non-recyclable waste than most of the neighbours
    • We shop in town, on foot
    • We try to buy seasonal local produce when we can
    • We rarely fly anywhere
    • We don't replace our electricals unless they are beyond repair
    • We use so little electricity we come out below the 'low usage' benchmark our provider uses for billing guidance
    • Etc. etc.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I had guessed that Zou. It's the self-righteous ones who then hop in their 4x4s to drive a short distance home with the car loaded with food etc etc. I had a little go at one of them on FB and she got very hoity-toity with me.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well if you take away my green-cred I'm only left with my jokes... :oops:

18. Learning

Sorry for my ambiguity. Its too late to edit my original post. The Andrew to whom I addressed this was Action Man, our self named daft_biker.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  19. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Electric cars are nice but in the US only about 15% comes from a renewable source and the rest is from gas, coal etc, So if you think about it using an electric car isn't going to cut down on emissions that much. If the US is going to do better we have to switch to more clean sources of electric.

I think that a hydrogen car might be a better solution.

Zou and Learning like this.
  20. Learning

Batteries are a problem. If renewable sourced electricity becomes extremely cheap when supply greatly exceeds demand then production of hydrogen may be cost effective.

Jeff Farkas likes this.