1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. MPB

MPB Well-Known Member

do they do t
    do they do them in sizes other than large ?

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I think it was one size fits all. Hers is OK. She hasn't a big head at all (although she has hair) It seems to fit her head OK.

Don't think she has the hang of how it fits though.:)

[​IMG]Virus mask by Nigel G, on Flickr

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Excellent things.

And made in Anglesey.

S

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Since bad people are legally obliged to use them they are common litter. Wasn't like that when it was just good people wearing them.

I'll repeat my position that the infection rate can and should be controlled by not doing stuff rather than adding an overhead to our already wasteful ways.

Natural immunity after infection may well be a major factor if infection rates drop globally for this latest westerner disease. So might vaccines although that is about big pharma making big bucks and whacky billionaires....great for the divide between rich and poor no doubt :rolleyes:.

The climate emergency should still be a priority and some folk seem determined to fail this test as spectacularly as possible. Opportunity missed :(.

PSX_20200731_211138.jpg

PSX_20200731_211120.jpg

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sadly, the jelly fish got the mask too late.

graeme

6. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I noticed a few pairs of worn latex gloves in a drain earlier :/

7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter how many times you say it, it still doesn't make it correct. Have you not read the study out of Kings College London? It makes sobering reading regarding lasting immunity.
    Please remind me again how you propose to control the infection rate by doing 'nothing'? I look forward to your detailed analysis backed up with evidence based statistics.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Scotland, phase 1.

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I assume you mean easing of restrictions, which was only made possible by the initial lockdown, which is the exact opposite of what you are proposing.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

12. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I assumed that he meant not having 'raves', not having parties, not going to the pub or Spain or Granny's rather than taking no action.

MickLL

daft_biker likes this.
  13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

You mean apart from the fact that vaccines for the Spanish Flu didn't exist? Together with masks not being advised everywhere, and usually made of porous material which made them as effective as a chocolate teapot?

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I included the word effective and what has changed in regards to the masks?

15. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Fact: There isn't a 100% effective. Only the KN95 is 95% effective. So.. don't wear one? No.. wearing one will always be better than not wearing one.

1) Wearing one gives you a better chance of not cathing the virus and getting sick.
    2) Also, wearing a mask cuts down the chances of you spreading the virus.

Are masks inconvient? Yes.. but they're needed.

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That's a Taylor Wessing winner entry!

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

So how come the infection rate went down without them? Stats from this country during this pandemic suggest otherwise.

What masks do is give people something to make and sell. They are good for the economy, don't change the virus situation and are a tragedy for the environment.

Bonus bottle of hand sanitiser with this one today :(. PSX_20200802_142612.jpg

When they were optional they were harmless but now the kind of people that leave litter need a mask to go buy the rubbish.

18. Jeff Farkas

Oh... that has to be one of the most uniformed thoughts I've run into. In the US states that implemented mandatory mask usage and social distancing have see a massive reduction in cases of the virus and deaths. Meanwhile, states that didn't do that and opened up too soon saw the opposite. They had massive increases in the virus and deaths associated with it. Look at FL, TX and CA.

The cost of a mask or any other kind of protection is nothing compared to the cost of getting sick or making others sick.

And according to the MAYO clinic they do help
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

And here's some of the science behind all of this
    https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Trannifan likes this.
  19. Jeff Farkas

Here's the US's Whisky Tango, Trailer Park, Hold my Beer response. Oh and it's sponsored by K&H filters,.

2352558394073602829.jpg

Learning and EightBitTony like this.
  20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Get back to me when you find one that just did masks but no social distancing and saw a reduction in cases.

Calling me uniformed when not understanding the point being made....quality!