1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Life depends on it.

Catriona likes this.
  2. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Is there an echo?

MickLL

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Maybe I'm not thinking of the right thing but when I go for chips (rarely) the shop has a big rotating meat thing that I know as kebab. If it's rotating with heat on then there's loads of fat dripping into the tray below. I've never, ever, thought of that as healthy.
    That's apart from this great block of meat being exposed to all sorts of airborne stuff until it's all sold.

I've never tasted one and don't intend to .

MickLL

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That is a doner kebab and probably not that healthy! Lamb or chicken shish is basically marinated meat grilled/tandoored on a skewer.

Zou likes this.
  5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Thanks for that. Any idea what meat is in the great big block?

MickLL

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Theoretically lamb/mutton, but could be horse, dog, cat... I've seen chicken ones too. I always have shish/shashlick as I'm not convinced the constant heating then cooling of the gyro is particularly good food hygiene. At least with a shish it's cooked from fresh in front of me.

Zou and AndyTake2 like this.
  7. dream_police

Having seen those large doner meats being delivered from backs of transit vans to kebab shops, I wouldn't eat them.

Zou likes this.
  8. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

They look a bit like the leg of an elephant!

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Just remember your various chicken abominations made with recovered bits - and so-called frankfurters with recovered chicken and other things in them in one big spew!

10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a very old joke:
    "Doctor, how can live to be 100?"
    "Give up drinking, smoking and sex"
    "Will I live to be a 100 if I do?"
    "Possibly but it will feel like you did"

John Farrell likes this.
  11. LesleySM

Due to too many of them , I have been known to have the occasional fast food but probably only a few times a year if that although of course I am fat but that is down to my fondness for a beer or two

12. LesleySM

One of my all-time favourite fast foods

13. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Boring old phart reminiscence:-

Back in the seventies, when I was just covering the Middle East from the UK, we were tendering for a contract in Riyadh worth about five million quid. Myself and our Saudi partner had just got back from the ministry having passed in the completed bid and got it duly receipted. The bid had little margin, as we knew there was a lot of follow-on work after the first two years. We were both very hungry, but it was late so we didn't fancy going to an hotel, so instead got in the partner's Cadillac and drove to a doner kebab stall he knew. There was a huge queue of workers at the stall, but when you turn up most places in a Cadillac in Riyadh, the universe behaves in a subtly different way, so we got our doners in double quick time.

We leaned against the bonnet of the car (he didn't want either the grease or the smell inside) and ate our kebabs. While doing so I noticed my Saudi friend counting the length of the queue and timing the throughput. After a while he commented "Over the next two years, this guy is going to make more money than we will if we win the bid".

As a footnote, we did win the bid, and did get the follow-on business at a more sensible price - and the doners were absolutely disgusting.

Craig20264 likes this.
  14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

OK, you're excused, carry on.

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I prefer my chicken not to have recovered. :D

AndyTake2, Jeff Farkas and Catriona like this.
  16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh you... :p

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  17. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Speaking of chicken.. I love mine with dumplings.

delish-crockpot-chicken-dumplings-1519941256.jpg

Danno and AndyTake2 like this.
  18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

19. MPB

MPB Well-Known Member

Try wearing radiological protection masks for any length of time I am with dream Police still alive after wearing a scott pro mask, dragger and an N10 for 2 solid hours in full R2/C2 controlled area working conditions and a full PVC suit. I have not suffered so wearing a virustatic snood is fine just need to order one that fits as the ones I have from employers ride down

20. dream_police

My wife has one of the virulistic shields snood (she uses it in the upholstery workshop hen other users are in there). She finds it so much better than a mask. Not cheap though.