1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

When a third or more of your daily calories come from alcohol it tends to do bad things to you... An exaggeration maybe and not trying to be funny, just acknowledging that as you say there are perhaps differing health issues in different communities.

Catriona likes this.
  2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The only major fast-food outlet we have in town is a Subway sandwich shop. No Macdonalds, Burger King or KFC. The only takeaway in the town centre is Speedy Chef kebabby. Plenty of places you can bugger up your liver, heart and kidneys though.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Almost the same here, although when alcohol prices went up, the bars emptied fast. Supermarkets filled the gap and drinking al fresco (out of CCTV range) became the norm.
    Our only true take-aways are fish and chip shops and an Indian place on a side street. During this time, hotels have offered a take-away service too, but when I think about it, it is for Indian food normally served in one hotel (and it is superb).
    As for alcohol consumption? Not overt, but I must confess my bottle of wine isn't lasting nearly as long as it used to (I reckon they've shrunk the bottle size).

John Farrell likes this.
  4. Catriona

Actually not as bad as you might imagine. People plain can't afford it the way they used to.

5. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Well,, not in this case. I would rather wear a mask and be safe than catch a virus from fools not wearing one. :rolleyes:

6. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Wearing a mask gives you some protection but it does NOT make you safe. Don't fall into a false sense of security.

MickLL

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

8. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

I would rather wear one and cut down my risks of catching and spreading the virus. Even the best mask has some small risks.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

On another site I frequent, there was a mini-rant about why have both social distancing and face masks - one or the other should do.

I found the reply both appropriate and amusing:

"If airbags work, why have seat belts? If seatbelts work, why have airbags? If both work, why have brakes?".

Zou and DaveM399 like this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate that some will mistake the humour for serious discussion. :confused:

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Even more unfortunate that some will mistake the serious point for humour. :)

Zou and MJB like this.
  12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The reason why people are fat is due to fast food takeaways. Nothing at all to do with independent coffee shops...

107784028_2576323865960059_6224029858298293905_n.jpg

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

No, it's due to the fact that cheap convenience food is full of calories, mainly sugars and fat.

And, as it is cheap and convenient, people with not a lot of money or time buy it, and end up fat. As do their offspring.

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I think most, but very sadly not all, drivers would take it in the spirit intended.

... unless there dead, of course, because they had no brakes.

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Fruit and vegetables from Greengrocers is cheap. Unfortunately for some it often involves a little work in preparation and cooking.

16. Catriona

Have you finished polishing your halo yet?

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Brillo pads work well... ;)

18. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Greengrocers? When is the last time you went out?

Jeff Farkas and EightBitTony like this.
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

But have you seen strawberries and apples? They are packed full of sugars and calories!

MJB likes this.
  20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I remember when my neighbour's mother died at the age of 60. Thin, but not skinny, didn't drink or smoke, ate healthily etc. Talking to his brother at her funeral he said "she probably died of boredom".

SXH likes this.