1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You still need to consume too many calories to become fat. I agree that some people have a different feed conversion ratio than others. Perhaps a good health scare helps people moderate their intake. That worked for me about 15 years ago but I've noticed the effect wearing off a bit now, It also seemed to have worked for Boris.

2. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Actually someone with PCOS could starve to death and still be overweight. Sorry, but you need to check your medical facts.

EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

To see parents AND their children vastly overweight is an awful thing to see. I’m not talking the visual aspect, but the lifestyle aspect. The parents have a choice. If they want an unhealthy lifestyle it’s up to them. But to inflict that lifestyle onto their children is a terrible thing.

4. Mark101

In the Health sector you quickly relate many who are aged to having mobility issues, which in turn cause weight issues, leading to potential falls prevention intervention. Sweeping statements regards lifestyle, even for some of the young are easy to make, prevention and cures are far more difficult an art to manage in a society dominated by big business peddling crap junk food and labour saving devices. In respect of the young at school being overweight; I can assure this issue is normally picked up at school, but again the solutions can't be scribbled on the back if a fag packet because it's not that simple. If it's available children will always find cheap fast food and unhealthy items to consume. In essence, it's like trying to stop prisoners escaping from Colditz.

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Agree totally. It's just sad to see what the children have got to look forward to regarding lifestyle and health.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Here's the very simple truth.

There is no one cause.
    There is no one solution.
    Your life does not provide a template for anyone else other than you.
    What you can do does not define what someone else can do.

It's not hard, it just requires empathy, not the ability to 'feel sorry for someone' but the ability to genuinely acknowledge that the only people we truly know are ourselves and even then we're often clueless.

steveandthedogs, Zou and AndyTake2 like this.
  7. EightBitTony

Assuming *again* that being obese is a choice.
    Like being bipolar is a choice.

8. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Masks,, yes I wear one and so does my girlfriend. She's not keen on it but she does when she has to. I recall when my local started to make people wear them it was the day of the announcement and I went there to buy some things. As I was going in and putting on my mask a woman yelled at me..'Don't forget your mask you sheep!!'. I laughed it off.. I live in TN.. so I wasn't shocked about the comment.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Standing outside the supermarket with the dogs while the better half got shopping many of the customers I recognised looked uncomfortable in masks....eyes down and tails between the legs....if they had tails;).

I've got no pathetic excuse not to wear one so I think I know how they feel.

Although I didn't buy one....I found one to reuse to appease the pansies and go about my business with the minimum of fuss.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

If what you say is true, your forum name is quite apt.... :(

daft_biker likes this.
  11. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I have found that some people here in Canada are pretty lax about social distancing. However
    if I am wearing a mask they seem better at keeping their distance.

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I actually feel more comfortable now when shopping.

Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I am in my late 60s and have a couple of minor 'underlying conditions'. I don't like wearing a mask - I can't wear the heavy washable ones as I get too hot and it brings on, irrational, feelings of suffocation - but I have a box of disposable ones which I can wear without problems.

I don't wear them because they protect me, I am happy to wear them because in the event that I do get infected (surface transmission or being too close to someone who won't wear one because he's not a pansy or it is an affront to his civil liberties or some other drivel) it will prevent me filling the air around me with droplets full of the virus and putting other people at risk.

But you don't seem to care much about that, so if you do catch it, I hope you don't pass it on to too many other people before you end up in intensive care.

Good luck.

Zou, steveandthedogs and Gezza like this.
  14. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Words fail me. You're comments are everything that's wrong with the world, all rolled into one insignificant little internet post.
    Has it not sunk in? You're not doing it for you, it's the fella next to you, who has the wife at home with cancer,with a reduced immune system. People like you boil my piss!

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  15. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I prefer to think being obese “can” be a choice
    Being bipolar “can’t” be a choice.

16. EightBitTony

And I fully agree, but too many people assume all obesity is then choice.

17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

As I've heard up here, we are a long time thin...

We actually don't have much problem with obesity here. Doesn't make us any healthier though.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It is a choice that has been massively encouraged since the Government's lame attempts in 2005/6 to do anything about it sparked a "nanny state" backlash and wave of counter demands which aimed at normalising and de-stigmatiaing overweight. The pressure on media to stop using skinny role-models, in fact even reasonably-proportioned role models was supported by Unilever, who launched Dove as a dedicated chubbies brand, to great success. In the end they all decided the only thing they could do was blame advertising of junk food (despite being faced with clear evidence that the volume of advertising had fallen over years in exact counter-proportion to the rise in obesity, so no statistician anywhere would link the two).

Guess what? They are doing the same thing again. Another irrelevant "political" solution to something that is anything but a political issue.

Gezza and Catriona like this.
  19. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Went into the old market town of Amersham on Saturday and had a meal in the Elephant and Castle. They weren't taking any chances, as everyone was temperature-checked, plus our phone and email addresses were also recorded; this level of thoroughness I haven't encountered anywhere else before.
    As for the dispensing of tablets, this because it's much cheaper than training and employing MH staff, and also (I'm betting) a nation-wide shortage of them.

20. Mark101

Sheep end up in the slaughter house.