1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on face masks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I was asked to photograph some face masks for local retailer last week and I found myself idly remembering a time when the topic of covering your face was heatedly being debated. Women who wear the veil, motorcyclists delivering packages in helmets...all considered terribly wrong and a threat to society. How times change.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yes, ironic that in France I think it's still true that you can both be fined for not wearing a mask and for wearing a mask.

daft_biker, Zou and Geren like this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Try working in retail selling age restricted products. My wife has had serious abuse from people who won't step back and remove their face covering for a second so she can verify their I. D.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sounds about right!

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I think the rationale is if you are wearing a face covering due to religion you'll be fined, but if it's due to science you are ok. Whereas if you don't believe the science and have faith in something else you'll also be fined.

Dan S, John Farrell and EightBitTony like this.
  6. EightBitTony

I've also seen one conspiracy theory showing the move from wearing masks to wearing full Niqab or Burka - as in, the whole of the Covid19 thing is a conspiracy to get 'our women' wearing veils.

Some people really do need a reality check.

beatnik69 likes this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I saw a better one - it was getting folk to progressively mask up, through various stages including "antifa" until becoming fully fledged communists with AK47s and balaclavas. It was not posted in irony...

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I saw one that suggested forcing women to wear face coverings on public transport was an attempt by Sadiq Khan is "Islamify" London and that the closing of pubs was down to Muslin elements in the Cabinet for the same reason!

beatnik69 likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

That reason is called racism.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

That, plus several others is widely held in US. It is also seen there as an offence against God's will in giving us the beauty of his wonderful breathing system.

But wifey is treating one patient who firmly believes all doctors are being paid by crooked politicians to create the Covid myth that will extend their power over us. Only trouble is in some places it is being used as an instrument of domination and EU is getting quite worried.

11. EightBitTony

Yes, but there's the line between 'crooks will exploit anything to make money / gain more authority / enforce their will' and 'crooks created a virus to subjugate us'. Sadly, the former are too common, and illness leads to the latter gaining too much traction.

RovingMike likes this.
  12. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'm 60 and has never worn a face mask in my life until a couple of weeks ago (apart from when doing some dust-generating DIY jobs). As I wear specs, it's a real pain as the mask causes the glasses to mist up. I detest wearing a mask but at the moment if for example I could ride on a train or bus, I'd want to, irrespective of the requirement to do so. Sad times,but I'm happy to take my chances using common sense. I've really struggled with mental health to keep going through the current loss-of-freedom and Boris dictatorship; there's seemingly been little to live for over the past 4 months and most people don't understand and are extremely unsympathetic. I've been "fortunate"enough to be working from home, but it's not the same as being at work surrounded by workshops, factory life and colleagues

MPB likes this.
  13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The one I got (just in case) is a washable one and has a mouldable top so I can mould it to the shape of the bridge of my nose and avoid the problem of my specs steaming up.

The problem I have is chronic rhinitis - I dread to think what state the inside of it would be if I had to wear it for an appreciable length of time. It would HAVE to be washable!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Catriona likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Be afraid. Be very afraid...

One of Mrs F.'s fetching flower pattern masks modelled by yours truly...

Me in mask HX90 DSC00072.JPG

MPB, Learning and RovingMike like this.
  16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Apart from the fact that some Muslim clerics have very publicly said that's what they will impose here by any means.......eventually. It is their utopian equivalent of the "come the revolution" of the far left.

17. EightBitTony

Quotes or citations?

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Are you Michael Gove?

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

There's no need to be nasty! :eek:;)

Zou likes this.
  20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Blame being very close to the camera. It distorts even a handsome bespectacled face to look like Michael Gove.;)