1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Affinity, Acorn 6 or Elements?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by whiskerytorpedo, Mar 23, 2019.

1. whiskerytorpedo

whiskerytorpedo Active Member

Decided to splash some cash and buy some editing software. I think it would be fair to say that I am not the best user of software and rarely find it intuitive despite claims by developers that say it is. Affinity looks to be powerful but possibly a little over complicated for me. Acorn 6 looks about right for and had a good write up in AP the other week. Photoshop Elements is also tempting as I also do some video editing and could get it bundled together with Premiere. This might be a good option as buying last years version works out better value. I have used Gimp in the past when I ran a computer with linux OS ( ubuntu ) however it was far too heavily featured for my simple brain to really get a hold of. I shoot jpeg and RAW and have a soft spot for B&W so an app with good B&W support would be a must. Any thoughts on this? Acorn is the cheapest at £28:99 followed by Affinity at £10 more.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Don't know about the others, but Elements has three modes - Quick, Guided and Expert - so you can start simple and move on as you learn.

It also meshes with ACR, so if you start(?) using RAW files, you just need that. And possibly DNG Convertor, depending on the version of ACR that your version of Elements supports - not all support all RAW formats. Both are free.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Whichever you choose, think about how you will name and store the files. It is easier to implement a system when you have relatively few files and a bit of a nightmare doing it retrospectively.

I, luckily I think, always used Canon software to download from the camera and this made individual folders by date. If you have 10 days of pictures it will make 10 folders and assign the files accordingly. Initially I put edited files on Flickr because you could add keywords and file by subject at two levels (albums and collections) - so I could search my Flickr, find the photo, check the date then find the original and the edits on disk. I still do this but now the keywording is done locally and the Flickr version is a low resolution copy.

4. whiskerytorpedo

After reading some reviews I have bought Affinity. Well so far so good, its importing my jpeg and RAW files ok and it seems straight forward enough. The tutorial videos on the official forum look very clearly explained and informative. I will indeed have to give some thought to a filing system. At the moment I am using mac photos but its perhaps not the best solution. I do have an external hard drive that is unfortunately configured for linux I wonder if I could not partition the drive and use what is left ( ie most of it ) for mac storage. Is this possible?

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

One question at a time please.
    I am only familiar with Affinity of the three that you mention but tried a much earlier version of elements years ago.
    Affinity is very good. If you are really not very good at using software then I suggest that as well as buying affinity then you buy the book. Affinity Photo Workbook. This makes the difference between success and failure.

6. whiskerytorpedo

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

8. whiskerytorpedo

£29:99 that's a little more reasonable. I notice its out of stock but I shall keep an eye on it .Thanks.