1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Those really nice, but unused lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Hopefully they side with the seller like they usually do.

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

During 15yrs my score is 1800+
    I’ve been scammed twice both were identical to this. But somehow this is causing problems
    RM would not give out the address of the tracking number used but did say it was very close to my own address!!
    So, for me, the elephant in the room is how are these gangs (I’m assuming this is organised criminal gangs) getting RM special delivery tracking numbers ? They must either be hacking RM or they work or know someone who works in RM and can obtain these details. We’ve said all this to eBay customer services, they don’t want to listen. Track and trace show a scribble as a signature and the name states CV19 !!!
    Obviously COVID 19
    Huge scam but I’m just trying to get my money back.

3. pixelpuffin

Wow, thanks for that Bazarchie
    FFS!!
    Let’s hope bad luck doesn’t come your way too - geez!!

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've been using eBay for the last 20 years and have had very little trouble. The very little I have had was relatively recently and was sorted out by PayPal when I reversed my payment to them.

5. pixelpuffin

Last year the two identical scams I fell for were both resolved by PayPal. eBay states they could not intervene as PayPal held more power. Stupidly I decided to trust eBay this time given their flashing banner of confidence!!
    My neighbour is a retired police inspector, I’ll ask if the police can do anything if eBay goes with the seller

but, the emails he sent me are self incriminating, he’s blatantly stated in one email that he will get away with this as it’s a civil matter and police won’t interfere!!
    His listed business address is 80 miles away from where the tracking number on said parcel was dispatched. He’s admitted it went to wrong address
    He’s issued a refund
    Then cancelled refund saying I deserved it for being a a***hole !!
    Yet eBay are just not bothered as none of this is on eBay messaging!!
    He must know that too ??
    What do I do??
    Will see what happens, will then try PayPal......

never again. Not EVER!!

6. Bazarchie

My mistake. I meant they side with the buyer.

Sorry to offend.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Taking money and not sending the goods or cancelling a refund is known a theft. I think the poilce will be interested.

8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have another unused-but-won't sell job - a Tamron 70-300mm f:4-5.6 USD. It is a great lens - sharp, low fringing, good contrast, accurate colour and so on - but the zoom ring is at the far end of the barrel. I shoot with the body/VG resting in the palm of my left hand, so I can adjust the zoom at the same time as supporting the camera. With the Tamron - no way! With my left hand adjusting the zoom, at 300mm the lens is waving all over the place.

The only reason I keep it is that I have an eight pin 1.7x Teleplus that is not chipped, so it reports the aperture back to the camera as f:4-5.6, so as long as there is decent light it will still autofocus. I use it solely as a 510mm lens for photographing penguins flamingoes on the salt-lakes in the winter. I actually prefer my Tamron Adaptall 500mm mirror, but that reports 50mm f:1.7, so I have to use a tripod and turn off IBIS, as it doesn't work properly.

As a replacement I bought the much cheaper Sony 75-300mm f:4.5-5.6 which works the way I want, is much lighter, and pretty much as good.

9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I like your line of thinking !
    Lenses can seem to be like members of the family, hard to "get rid of", even if they are not much use

10. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I have a Nikon 35/70 F2.8 constant aperture which is possibly the best lens in my camera kit but I use a 28/105 Nikon as my walk around lens, The main reason being it is just to short at the w/a end and not long enough with the tele end. I didn't pay a lot for it but the quality is outstanding. It sits on a spare film body but rarely gets an airing, but like you I am loath to part with it.

Likewise I have 3 medium format enlarging lenses, and 2 x 35mm enlarging lenses: Schneider/Nikon/Rodagon and Rodagon Apo/Nikon. There is not much to chose between any of them them but they are part of my kit although I can only use one at a time.

11. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Or more correctly:- Obtaining property by deception Theft 1978.

Two points though. Have you got the genuine name of the buyer and his correct address. If not that may be a problem.

12. pixelpuffin

I have the buyers business address
    Whether it’s real I don’t know
    Royal Mail letter arrived yesterday stating categorically that the tracking number given by the seller is no way affiliated to me. But eBay are still not helping much. Been ongoing for 20 days, I alerted eBay 2 days after!! Will try PayPal, then last resort the police.
    It’s frustrating (extremely) I haven’t done anything wrong.
    never will I use eBay again.

13. Bazarchie

What was eBay’s response to the Royal Mail’s letter re the tracking no?

14. pixelpuffin

I can’t stress enough how disinterested eBay has been. Like banging head against a wall.
    They have said they will get back to us.
    Neighbour called round this morning (retired police inspector) says police will certainly be interested. So will wait and see what eBay come back with, will then try PayPal - if still no joy will report to police.