1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This jogged my memory ...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Amongst the products being showcased at the 2020 expo, which included a 'reversed' microwave that cools drinks, and an invisible keyboard for smartphones, was an 8K screen with a unique 3D effect that paired up to a 'torch'-like gadget which lets users re-illuminate scenes as they play, shown here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/techn...20-tv-lets-you-shine-a-torch-into-its-shadows

This reminded me, that about 6 years ago, I was asked to photograph these two elderly Thai siblings who hadn't seen each other for decades:

ThaiCouple01.jpg

Whilst editing this, I noticed some annoying artefacts on the dark glass sliding doors behind them and decided to remove them. Curiosity led me to manipulate the image to see what this was, resulting in me finding this ...

ThaiCouple01-E.jpg

It's the man's armed bodyguard! The family admitted to me later, he had been involved in gun-running decades ago and there were still people wanting to settle some outstanding 'issues' with him!

daft_biker likes this.
  2. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`ve only just seen this Sam.I had to look hard at the 2nd photo but I honestly don`t see an "armed guard"just a figure
    in what looks like a multi colored cardigan!
    I`d be interested in any other comments.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I see two unrelated reflections: Colourful wall from the left and a fat guy in white shirt from the right.

4. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Hmmm
    [​IMG]

At best I see someone with a white shirt on with a pattern under the armpit. But what I see doesn't mean anything when you were actually there.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Untitled-1.jpg

Took me a while but I managed to find your man in the white shirt eventually. Were you aware of him at the time?

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

No, not at all; I'd been told he was a retired businessman and the only other people to be seen there were a housekeeper and the cook. Behind the glass on the left is part of an arched doorway through which I'd entered the room. I'd been in Thailand for a month, gone down to Rayong and then on returning back here, posted the edited image, (A dye-sub because of the climate there) back to the woman in the photo.

He was obviously 'Well Connected' because in his back garden was a big Lilypond, with one of those traditional North-Eastern houses on stilts - which nowadays aren't allowed to be relocated down South. Here it is ...

ThaiGuestHouse.jpg

Ah! nice little 'hovel' for your house guests?

daft_biker likes this.