1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Things to do in Whitby in June, for a "newbie"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pachinkofan, Mar 31, 2012.

1. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

Evening. The girlfriend and I are spending a week in Whitby, from the 16th of June, and I was wondering where to take her to give her a feel for the area, as she's not been to Whitby herself before.
    Having been there many times since childhood, I have some ideas, but wanted to make sure that I don't forget anything, or if something's arrived since 2006ish...

Usual ones I'll be trailing her to:

199 steps, Whitby Abbey and St Hilda's
    Whitby Market/Market square
    The Lucky Duck Shop
    The swing bridge
    Captain Cook's monument (and museum)
    Pannet park gallery and museum
    Arnold Palmer's Putting Course
    The amusements and chip shops by the khyber pass
    The Whitby Pavilion and Spa
    A trail for ammonites or the shop along from the Lucky Ducks
    The Tiffin coffee shop for breakfast bacon rolls with coffee
    Boyes
    Dracula Experience
    The steam bus tour
    The RNLI museum
    Ruswarp [cafe by the river with the garden centre and putting green]

along the way popping into coffee shops and bars for a sit down obviously...

I was just wondering if there are any obvious things I've missed as it's been a good long while since I've been there...

Cheers, and I'm already starting to order sdhc cards ;-)

Garry

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Sounds like five or six weeks work you have lined up already. :cool:

If you're there on June 6th and the sky is clear, you will be able to see the last Transit of Venus (across the face of the sun) that will occur in our lifetimes. You should have a good eastern horizon across the sea from Whitby ... but you'll have to get up early, the transit is already in progress at sunrise (which is pretty early in June) and the event is over by 05:55 BST.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Do you work for the Whitby tourist board?

4. pachinkofan

No, just a fan ;)

Apologies, just realised I left the "?" off at the end... :|

5. pachinkofan

and my Dad reminded me:

Botham's for Ginger slice and cheese.

gurgh... ;)

Ah, and:
    Freeman's art gallery
    Sutcliffe's photography gallery... :eek:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. pachinkofan

Kipper smokehouse in Church street.

7. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I would have put fish and chips top of the list, looks too much like an afterthought ;)

Steam train to Grosmont / Goathland (Aidensfield) / Pickering. Check the NYMR timetable.

8. pachinkofan

Well, didn't manage it last year due to medical things, but making it this year, driving down for the week tomorrow, and gf's main wishlist is having a scour round the beaches to see if she can source some Jet before buying some in a shop ;).

Been a while, and it'll be a while again, but I'm still wandering around in the background... :)

Garry

9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat relieved to see that your list doesn't include 'Catching crabs on Whitby pier'.....

10. Tooslow

Tooslow Well-Known Member

Steam train to Pickering (which has a castle worth a peek) and / or any of the villages along the route.

She doesn't want to go fishing does she?

Excellent walking along the coastal path in both directions with an easy walk back along the old railway line or get the bus.

Saltwick Bay is much photographed, just around the headland from the abbey, though you could say the same for all of the coastal villages; Staithes, Robin Hood's Bay etc.

I always think of Captain Cook's monument as being the one just above Great Ayton. A train will get you there.

Don't miss the hinterland, the moors and the villages, especially in the Esk valley; Lealholm, Goathland, Grosmont and so on. There are some engine sheds at Grosmont. Thomason Foss & Mallyam Spout at Goathland are just two of the small but delightful waterfalls on the moors. I have heard the train ride through the Esk valley described as being one of the most beautiful train journeys available but as it's still on my list of things to do I'll not advertise it too loudly.

I hope the weather is good to you.

John

11. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Don't forget Mulgrave castle, through the woodyard at Sandsend. I used to go there when it was overgrown and rather secluded but they've posted a signed trail to it and removed all the weeds - they ruined a ruin. :(

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Took my wife there not too long ago. She's from Transylvania and I tried to persuade her to charge the Goths £5 a go for 5mins chat with a real Transylvanian, but she wasn't having any. No commercial sense these Trannies. ;)

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Things to do in Whitby, eh? Well, should you have an urge to do some night photography whilst there perhaps you might be wise to dress in similar fashion to this chap:
    [​IMG]

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

+1. Still delicious although they get their herring by road from goodness knows where.

15. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Church St? Henrietta St. Where the warring families used to live...