1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Then and Now

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Fen, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

A thread for the Then and Now project

Please do not reply to this post unless it is with a photo for the project.

For more information please read this thread: Then and Now

Thankyou

2. whistley

whistley Well-Known Member

Re: Then and Now...Potterne (4 images)

Well someone had to be first.

The pictures below were taken in the village of Potterne, Wiltshire. These images were posted on a previous thread but I thought it was worth posting again just to get this idea going.
    I wonder what became of the people in the first picture. If the originals were taken about a hundred years ago then the young men/boys may have fought in the first great war, as tomorrow will be 11 November, now seems a good time to think about these young people.

Original Photo - 01

[​IMG]

Original Photo - 02

[​IMG]

3. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Congratuations on being 1st.

Those shots are just the thing, it's very interesting to see what hasn't changed. I didn't notice the 'Cow Tail' pump in the current shot to begin with. It was only when I noticed it on the 'Then' shot that I looked for it, surprised to see it is still there.

Nice One, :cool:

Richard

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

These are really interesting comparisons.
    It has made me think about doing something similar.
    Thanks for that.
    I think it incumbent on photographers to record a slice of life for future generations- though obviously not all of us will be a position to do so.
    Again well done. :D

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have lots of modern record shots of our village here in Elstead and a book of historic photos of the same places. Problem is the old ones are probably copyrighted so cannot be shown here.

6. whistley

Re: Then and Now...More from Potterne (2 images)

Here is another from the village. If you look closely at the far end of the thatched cottage in the original image you can just make out a small structure leaning against the building, in the second picture that structure has been replaced by cream and red brick coloured building, this is part of our house which was built in 1919, the cottage is now called Cockburns Cottage as it was once owned by Mrs Cockburn of Cockburns Port.

Re copyright. I suspect nobody has posted any pictures here because of copyright issues, the originals I use here were taken from some old postcards we found. I scanned them then forwarded them to our village web site along with the new pictures. The people who run the site could find no problems with using them, and have had them on the site for about six years.

Original Photo - 03

[​IMG]

7. Monobod

Loverly spot.

8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Whistley,

Believe it or not postcards are one of the biggest copyright problems that I encounter. On the back there should be the name of the printer - that's the first step.

That printer might have been taken over by someone else, then you have to trace the copyright ownership of the photo. Did the original company own the copyright or did the photographer. If the company owned it, was it passed onto the new company, and so forth and so forth.

We were contacted a few weeks ago regarding some postcards in our collection. We'd tried to find the copyright owner without any success so we put a notice with the photos asking if anyone had information on the copyright owner to contact us.

As mentioned in the original thread, it will probably be better if you link to the original photos rather than posting them on the AP site.

9. whistley

Hi Fen

The link to the village site is HERE
    I won't have any objections if you remove the pictures and replace them with the link.

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

PM sent :)

11. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Bullring

Hope this qualifies for then and now.

Bullring Birmingham.

June 2000, A few days before demolition started.
    [​IMG]

June 2006
    [​IMG]

Difficult to get a direct comparison shot as the original area is now part of the shopping centre.

(Apologies for the poor scan on the first image. I need to rescan a fair few old negs/slides again).

12. Monobod

Re: Bullring

We had a showing og an AV at the club last night od Godalming past and Present over the last 100 years. Lots of now and then shots. It was very interesting to see what is still around and what has changed. Not all for the best unfortunately.

13. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Some 'Then and Now' shots taken by me in Wantage over the last couple of years.

Then
    This used to be an old canal wharf years age. Latterly it was used as a wagon yard for a haulier. Note the old building at the back on the right hand side.
    [​IMG]

Now
    High density rabbit hutches. Note the old building now covered in scaffolding.

[​IMG]

Then
    At the entrance to the site is this old shack for the West of England Sack Hiring Company

[​IMG]

Now
    And the same building today. This is the entrance to the same site as the first two shots.
    [​IMG]

The Then shots were taken for a project called 'Transitions' organised by the local museum a couple of years ago and to which I was invited to contribute. I think it would be worth doing again now that the transitions both here and in other parts of the town are nearing completion.

14. turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat Well-Known Member

I still cant see the pump on the 'now' pic but I can see a giant rabbit shadow on the house wall :)

I wish I'd kept my pics of yore - but we have lithos of the thens so i might give those a go against a few nows, if that's allowd

15. FATBOYJARV

FATBOYJARV Member

I dont know if the I can still post but here is my Now & Then
    [​IMG]

16. paulapoppet

paulapoppet Well-Known Member

i was down loading some pics i took of the empty pub opposit my house last night and for some reason (prob the fact the my computer hates me) i lost the lot!!! :(
    they were of a great big fire that took out one side of the pub. i thought it would make a great before and after story as i have original pics of both. the worst part is my husband (ryanh) took some pics of his own :rolleyes:
    so i suppose he will be posting them and not me :(
    paula :)

ps i love the now and then pics allready on here what a brill idea! hope there will be more :)