1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Yellow Door

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by PeteE, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Good grief - you don't seriously think I paid for such a thing? I inherited it, and as for your second point the electric glazer also worked...sometimes :p

Cheers, Jeff

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The secret is the glazing solution not the type of polished surface.

Our college was in back hill Clerkenwell close to Smithfield.. (London school of printing and graphic art, the predecessor of the now London college of Communication)
    Our senior technician used to go down to the market and bring back a couple of gallons of fresh OX gall. Twas the real McCoy.

3. Terrywoodenpic

I had a 32" rotary glazer and even that had trouble keeping up some days.
    for "specials" I had a 24" Kodak flat bed glazer.

When I worked in Spain the studio had an even bigger German one, a good meter wide and over six foot tall.

4. Terrywoodenpic

I would believe you. I too have words they hide in the caverns of my brain, and defy any ploy to unmask them.

Fishboy likes this.
  5. Terrywoodenpic

Not sure that Yakkum would make a very good Glazing solution.

From Wiki

Yakkum is a Radiatian delicacy consisting primarily of pasteurisedYak semen mixed with garlic, used primarily as a condiment. While various versions of the condiment exist in contemporary Radiatia, as well as historically, today Yakkum primarily refers to a specific brand, the Authentic Radiatian Yakkum Company, based in Tathika.

It is traditionally considered a luxury food, and in Radiatia has connotations of wealth associated with it, equivalent to caviar. In Radiatia it is usually consumed with fried potato strips, and occasionally french fries though in some parts of the federation and elsewhere in the world it is consumed with crackers, biscuits or even spread on toast.

Geren likes this.
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yeah, I said I was going to use it in conversation, not engage in roleplaying the eating of yak semen. I can't see that going down well at work.

7. Fishboy

In the context of my original comment I was using the term 'yakkum' as referring to any gloopy substance of unspecified origin or composition.

Cheers, Jeff

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

(I knew that!)

Fishboy likes this.
  9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'll never be able to look at a pot of Yakult again without thinking whose spunk might be in it?
    [​IMG]

AndyTake2 likes this.
  10. Fishboy

That's why I never eat at McDonalds!

Cheers, Jeff

11. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I still have a 'Photax Glazer' which takes 10x8" prints under my darkroom sink but in about 1971 I bought from Dixons Wholesale in London a Japanese 'FC glazing rotary glazing machine' -- I think it was £170 with discount and Tax Deductible as it was for 'Business use' -- it made doing my Press Prints a lot quicker and lovely glaze for printing in local newspapers. Wife made me relegate it to the garage where it resides under its Yellow Cloth.

12. Terrywoodenpic

It sort of begs the question are any modern papers suitable for glazing?

13. Terrywoodenpic

Fortunately Radiata is a fictional land in a role play game. Though sufficient details seem to be given to create genuine Yakkum.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member