1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The wonders of modern technology.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John Farrell, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Well by that definition candles aren't natural light, I think a Xenon flash is much closer sunlight yes there are spikes in it's spectral output but the white balance is much closer.

I've just come back from a long walk with my camera and I'm sad to report the natural light was not very pleasing at all. Much better light this morning. I personally find candle light is often more pleasing than sunlight, but it's low intensity can make it a pain to use. Fire light is a better compromise, but I'd rather not burn the house down when taking photos.

Zou likes this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I rather take the view that there is light, whether it is caused by the emission of radiation from within atoms or ionisation, it is light.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

And God said, let there be light.
    And there was.
    And Photographers have been arguing about the quality of it ever since.

LesleySM, AndyTake2, Zou and 3 others like this.
  4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

QUOTE="EightBitTony, post: 1646683, member: 51491"]And God said, let there be light.
    And there was.
    And Photographers have been arguing about the quality of it ever since.[/QUOTE]
    I had to give that a like because it made me smile. However, (substitute 'but' if you want to be negative), however God was invented at least two or three thousand years before photography. I think that looking at history, and the relative suffering caused by religion and photography, photography is the lesser evil. Pedants please note. Gods, plural go back a few millennia than God singular. None of them were discovered; they are all inventions of human minds.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

When did your tea last make itself?

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Never. By the way, how does one nest replies. Don't tell me that God did it.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You managed to delete part of the code when you quoted Tony, I simply restored the missing [ and low and behold nested quotes. There are other ways.

Learning likes this.
  8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

How many candles though? One, two, three, or perhaps...

9. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

That'll teach me for putting up this post - one of the lamps failed today, 5 days short of 5 years from when it was fitted.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Indeed, it is said they go back 100,000 years. Man's innate need to find purpose in everything and to anthropomorphise a creator of it is said to have led to the formation of larger societies than family groups, related by beliefs. They then of course started to kill other groups united by different beliefs.

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As good a reason as any for requiring everyone to keep their religious beliefs to themselves and wash their hands carefully after practicing them. :p

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a great line from Terry Pratchett - I can't remember it verbatim but basically it was "You could tell they were doing religion by all the blood".

John Farrell, Learning and RovingMike like this.
  13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But having seen the light and been saved, they only want to save you. Even if they have to burn you at the stake to do so. You should be grateful....

Learning likes this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Reminds me of this exchange from "Fiddler on the Roof"...

Young man: Rabbi, is there a prayer for the Czar?
    Rabbi: Of course there is my son. [intones] "May god bless and keep the Czar... ...far away from us!" :D

Petrochemist likes this.