1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The wonders of modern technology.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John Farrell, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If the good lord wanted us to see in the dark he'd have given us night vision.

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Our LED bulbs have been reliable apart from the ones in the bathroom. The original ones were sealed units that were expensive but all failed fairly quickly. The replacements were from the same make and have been much better.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed climbing Great Gable in the middle of the night in the 1980s. Stunning sunrise too.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, lights spoil the fun of riding at night.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

What is unnatural light? In the spirit of the lounge, surely you mean 'light from a non-human-made source'?

Photons, after all, are photons.

Petrochemist likes this.
  6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

If they were made in another country then there's no chance they came from the same factory.

Mind you coming from the same factory doesn't mean they are the same. Even from the same production line you could have the bulbs that excess specification A go to top brand, then those that work but don't meet spec.A go to budget brand. This strategy would explain why the budget brand units are cheaper... I don't know if this is used for bulbs but similar have been known for lenses where the top brand has their pick of the output.

7. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Actually most of the output from a candle is in HEAT not light.
    Candles are particularly poor at giving out natural light. Incandescent lights are also wasteful of energy but give out a much higher proportion of (black body) radiation than candles, their light is given off by the same atom transitions so must be just as natural.
    Sunlight/starlight/fires all give light by black body radiation, but there are other natural light sources (like bio-luminescence that are quite different in their light output and more similar to the more energy efficient (un-natural?) man made sources.
    I'm not sure how much of the light from lightning is black body radiation & how much is from atmospheric ionisation.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Learning likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm *loving* the "well actually" aspect of the lounge. :D

EightBitTony and dream_police like this.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's sounding suspiciously like digital photography, which isn't real photography at all. Real photography takes place in a DARKroom...

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...and real photographers can be identified by the chemically induced eczma on their hands. ;)

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

When I worked for Ilford's my hands were awful at times but I did try and keep them out of the tanks!

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The terms "Natural Light" and "Artificial Light" are misleading. What most people mean by Natural Light is sunlight or light with a spectrum very similar to sunlight. Light from other sources is still "light" it just has a different spectrum which we humans may find less pleasing.

13. Andrew Flannigan

I think even that is open to question. Many people like to spend time in places that are dimly lit by artificial means.

London Pub Pentax Spotmatic Rikenon f1.2 1996-20_05.jpg

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I find it personally offensive and disturbing that you so readily assume "we" are all humans. What exactly do you have against alien life forms?

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I said
    The "We Humans" meant that those, like me, who are humans may find some light sources less pleasing. If you are not a human the comment isn't intended to apply to you.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So to add insult to injury you provide evidence that I was wrong in my accusation? That's unspeakably rude, even for a human.

(I'm going to have to stop this as it's getting far too silly)

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

Good idea. My friends in the Neanderthal Protection League are becoming disturbed by the direction in which this conversation is heading.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That's good because I can't think of a suitable response

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Or congregate with dim people in natural light? :rolleyes::oops:

Zou likes this.