1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The wonders of modern technology.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John Farrell, Aug 30, 2020.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Five years ago, I replaced the lightbulbs (mainly CF types) in my house, with Philips brand LED bulbs. I haven't replaced a lightbulb since.

Catriona likes this.
  2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I get my bulbs from Screwfix, generally LAP brand. Perhaps it is the make but LED longevity hasn't lived up to expectations. In the 4 years I have lived in this house, I have had to replace several.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Agreed, and we find that LEDs suffer a long death, so we'll turn them on one day and finally notice they're taking longer to get up to full brightness and that full brightness isn't quite the same as it should be. We replace them, and get instant bright light and realise what rubbish we've been living with. I think it's entirely around the manufacturing process. We've had two small LED bulbs in a light stand die in a 'flicker then fail' mode as well. I resume it's the internal electronics / circuit failing.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

We have a incandecent porch light that comes on automatically, after dusk, whenever movement is detected. The bulb has never been replaced since we've been here - over 23 years.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Of the 'proper' eco bulbs I don't think we've replaced any, ever. The smaller ones (replacing GU10s etc.) are a different matter. Still better than the old stuff but not great.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

It's the downlighter type that we have the main issue with. In our bathroom, we have 4. Two failed recently so I replaced them, being careful to match the colour temp. That is fine, except because they are different brands, the 2 old ones come on a fraction before the 2 new ones. I know it shouldn't irritate me, but it does!

ascu75, EightBitTony and Zou like this.
  7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

My record is a 12v quartz halogen in the kitchen - currently about four amps thirty years.

ascu75 likes this.
  8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have had a few of these fail, particularly small globes, different brands, I've recently tried fitting Sylvania in a fitting which uses three and has eaten other makes, I'll see how they go. They are all made in factories in the same country so you really don't know what you are buying, whatever the price point.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

How does the first part of that directly influence the second?

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Simply you don't know who is supplying products to who, the item in Poundland may well be identical to that being sold for five times the price in a different box.

11. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Mine are mainly in standard fittings, with shades. There are some in ceiling fittings, with domes over them. We used to have overheating failures in these, even with CF bulbs, but the LEDS stay cool.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Like, man, that's always a good thing. :cool:

John Farrell likes this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So if they were all made in different countries that would be different?

I'm not arguing the point that you don't know what you're getting, just I don't see how being made in any particular country causes that.

14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Back in the days when valves were used, it was found that switching them on and off, dramatically reduced their life. Decades later, a slightly similar effect was encountered in relation to fluorescent tubes. That was subsequently resolved by a redesign of the 'starters' that they employ.
    Probably the most famous example cited for not regularly turning off light bulbs is this one:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cente... the,the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

My point is that you no longer really know what you are buying, since the same suppliers are supplying various companies with items of very similar quality (or lack of), previously when you bought say an Osram bulb, that was what you got. The countries bit is simply they are sourcing the cheapest supply, which is one particular country, not the best quality and quality control.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The GU10 halogen bulbs in our kitchen used to fail with depressing frequency, so i replaced them as soon as I saw LED replacements - 6 or 7 years ago. This year, I realised these bulbs were in a bad way, so replaced them with new - and very much brighter - LED bulbs. Amazing difference. The other LED bulbs, even of odd sizes, have been much better than those original ones, and not one has failed. I've even got a daylight balanced one for my office that's brilliant.

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I don't use a lot of light bulbs, the one on my living room ceiling packed up over a year ago (I get vertigo on step ladders past the second step and this place has very high ceilings keep meaning to ask a friend who can go up a stepladder like the proverbial rat in a drainpipe to pop round) and the lamp bulbs in the living room needs replaced but in the summer I simply haven't bothered and even now when it gets dark I just put the hallway light on and the bedroom/bathroom and kitchen lights on when I go into those rooms if I have to then switch them off don't like a lot of artificial light, it can give me a headache. When I had my own office it was regular occurrence for someone to come in my office and wonder why I hadn't put the light on even though it was midsummer and I was comfortable working with the light from my computer and the window

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

In the spirit of the lounge, I feel compelled to state that it is a simple fact that candles remain superior to lightbulbs, but true purity lies in using natural light only.

beatnik69 likes this.
  19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yeah, but when it’s dark outside ......

20. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

...... The stars are bright enough.

AndyTake2 and Zou like this.