1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The starry night.

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by robbinsd, Sep 26, 2014.

1. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

Well, yesterday, we saw a new moon in the UK. The sky was at its darkest, and at about 3am, the clouds cleared for just long enough for me to snap this photo of a tiny little church in Rural South Wales, UK.
    Let me know what you think!
    [​IMG]

2. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

I see no place within the shot for the left invasive branches. I think there has something to be done with the vertical lines so the crosses look like straightly be heading to the Via Lactea. If while erecting the crosses you could try a crop and play with the descending diagonal... IMPO, it'd be a great improvement. A smaller foreground should allow greater meaningful play with the church and stars. Scrolling the image upwards almost corrects the diagonal issue I mentioned before.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I like the stars but the church and church yard look wrong, did you rotate the image because the verticals were converging? You have to be very careful on composition if using an ultra-wide lens and pointing it upwards.

4. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

OK, thanks for the feedback. Im not 100% sure what you mean but I have tried to resolve the warp caused by the wide angle lens. The church was build of a rather steep incline, which doesn't help my case, it isn't build on flat land.
    How do you feel about this image? [​IMG]

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Can you post the original as-shot version so we can see what any issues there are/may be with it?

Personally aside from the branches on the left (clone tool time) I was quite happy with the first version. I assumed since it's South Wales that the chuch is on a hillside...;)

6. robbinsd

robbinsd Member

Sure thing!
    I study in Birmingham, and it's such a novelty just being able to walk down a road without an incline!
    This is the RAW image, straight out of the camera. Just a note, I shoot with a Canon 6d, which has a built in level, so these were shot with the camera perfectly horizontal.
    The incline that you can see is due to the incline of the ground, not the camera being on the squiff. There really is very little distortion due to the lens.
    Dan
    [​IMG]

I also have this photo, which i took from a different angle.
    [​IMG]

7. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Why can't some people accept the hills. I have to cycle up some of them and it's not easy but they're there and they won't go away.

Nice image great to see the Milky Way I'm barely able to see the Plough these days living in London.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

No not a lot of distortion there. Not quite sure what you did to the original post but there did seem to be a bit of added distortion that doesn't look quite real - the gravestone front left for instance has a distinct slope on the top edge.

This is my rough attempt at perspective correction using Pixlr...

[​IMG]

Here the crosses are pretty much vertical and the gravestone is still rectangular. This was done simply by pulling the left side over using the distortion tool and then stretching slightly to get the height proportion about right.