1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE standard prime

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by AlecM, May 30, 2012.

1. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

So, is the Lumix 20mm f1.7 as good as they say? Looks great value and, whilst the 14-42 is good, the 14mm is much better, pushing me towards primes...
    Answers on a postcard......
    ;)

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I think that CSCs would both operate and look better if their lenses were all primes; not so much the Panasonic G-series, or the Samsung NX/DSLR lookalikes, but the ones that seem to look like rangefinders, e.g. Panasonic GF-series, Olympus Pens, Sony NEX-series, etc.

Zoom lenses on these rangefinder lookalikes look silly - their design is much more suited to primes.

3. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

I agree, they do look better balanced with a (shortish) prime - but is the 20mm any good....?
    Or, rather, as good as they say...?

4. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Most reviews that I have read say it is highly recommended.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Haven't got a postcard.................

The little 20mm is every bit as good as they say.

This one out of the kitchen door especially for you. Straight out of the camera 16-9 ratio and F1.7.
    [​IMG]

6. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Thanks Brian,
    Looks as clear as a bell at f1.7 - no mean feat for a lens of comparatively modest cost!
    Time to get the card out! (that's the Visa, not the Sandisk...)
    Much appreciated.
    :)

7. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

You want regret it Alec. Here's a real life situation.

[​IMG]

Evening in December. Just the street and bus lights.

[​IMG]

Mind you the 14-45mm ain't no slouch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Just done this one, again @F1.7 straight out of camera.

[​IMG]

Sorry it's got a bit of a list to port.:eek:

9. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

You've got some very 'red-blooded' ingredients there!;)

10. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Pass the saffron while you're there, I'm making paella and can't find any in my larder.(probably too sophisticated for Aylesbury)

Andrew

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

As a CSC newbie still coming to terms with the Oly pancake 17mm, I am disappointed that Panasonic don't do a fast 17 or 17.5mm. I have a high regard for Pannie kit, especially the lenses 'cos they are on nodding terms with pals in Wetzlar/Solms! ;)

If they brought back the GF1 (new) at a price comparable to the current GF3 price I might be very tempted but only if I could have a 35mm 35mm equivalent. :)

14 and 20 are great if you can have both - and a fast 50 too - cor! what an outfit!?! Now where have I seen that combo before? :D

12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Oh come on that would be asking a lot. They make a cracking 20mm F1.7 and you want a 17.5 F1.7. I don't have to tell you that'[s a full frame 35mm to 40mm hardly worth worrying about IMHO.

13. 0lybacker

You could be right but whenever I get a camera out I can generally guarantee two things:
    1. Light levels are going to take a dip, and
    2. I'm going to encounter a subject that demands a lens slightly wider than the widest I have with me. :rolleyes:

Actually, on a 'one and only lens' basis, and on the 'street', my preference seems to be a 50 or a 35 and on the basis of 2. above, it is quite often a 35mm these days. 28 which is also a favourite focal length for me - in colour with a SLR - for some reason seems a bit too wide but not as wide as a 'sneak up on the aural or nasal hair while pretending to photograph something else' that you can do with a 24 or 21! :eek:

Have recently been trying to thin the bookshelves and was looking at Brian Bower's book 'Lens, Light & Landscape' and apart from being impressed by the photography and the work he's put into it, I was struck by how many pictures were made with a 35mm lens.

So, as circumstances have taken me down the 35mm route with a Pen {am not sure how satisfied I am yet) it would have been good (and reassuring), if I become addicted but still not happy with the Pen, to have had the Panny alternative. :)

14. colinjones

colinjones New Member

There are strong rumours that Panasonic will announce a "Leica" 17.5mm f/1.4 Summilux sometime this year, possibly at Photokina. But it won't be cheap because Panasonic has to pay Leica Camera a hefty royalty for use of the brand.

15. 0lybacker

Hmmmn ..... nice!

A royalty, yes, I don't know how hefty but a Summilux design, using Leitz glass(?), will probably be trumped by that currently magic 'f1.4' as a reason for a generous profit margin as well.

Cynical! Moi?

I could not possibly comment ... ;):eek:

However, the success of zooms over the last thirty years arrived largely because photographers (the ones who know about such things) found the precise framing they offered worth the original premium.

If a camera maker IS going to create a system with fixed focal length lenses, then leaving out key focal lengths - to my mind - is inconceivable, especially as the chance for sales exists with the above photographers who are notoriously conservative at times, but well-heeled.

Well, some are.

Not me.

Unfortunately. :rolleyes::eek: