1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The sort of speech one gives after a too liquid lunch?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Nov 22, 2021.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Not related (directly) to Johnson's rambling and unintelligible speech, but BoJo has chalked yet another notch on his complete uselessness meter.

From an article in the Guardian: "A post-Brexit scheme to draw the world’s most celebrated academics and other leading figures to the UK has failed to attract a single applicant".

Oh, dear.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I like this quote from the same article

“The scheme itself is a joke – it cannot be discussed seriously. The government thinks if you pump up UK science with a verbal diarrhoea of optimism – it can somehow become a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

You can substitute any word/s in place of UK science and it would still ring true.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The issue is" how much of a laughing stock is this country? "
    Idi Amin always said that this country would end up as a third world nation, and it seems likely that prophecy is coming true at a rapid rate of knots.

peterba, Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be deliberately conflictive, but just want to clarify. Your suggestion for best for the job is someone who hosted a conference which was roundly agreed to have failed in its primary task? I know the bar is low but still a bit surprised. I suppose at least he hasn't had any sleaze corruption scandals yet.

WillieJ and spinno like this.
  5. peterba

Why ever not? @Learning usually is. ;)

WillieJ and spinno like this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nah, that's mostly banter.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

He got more out of China and India than any one thought possible.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

He did that, all by himself?

9. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Dunno. Pretty well everyone thought they would major on jam tomorrow.
    EDIT - Admittedly I am tired from days of walking plus a long drive but did I miss something?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59280241

10. peterba

Ah - I see. :)

daft_biker likes this.
  11. peterba

'Fraid not. Those really ARE his opinions. :eek: :D

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes, but he doesn't yell them at folk and rarely uses ad hominem (unless calling people woke counts as that...) so I'm always happy to engage. There are some far far less pleasant conservatives out there you know.

WillieJ, dream_police and peterba like this.
  13. peterba

For a moment, I misread that! :D

DaveM399, WillieJ and Zou like this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

When I read it back myself before posting so did I! Anyway, nobody has been called woke handbags as far as I recall...

peterba likes this.
  15. Ascu75 AKA Don Wood

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood Well-Known Member

I have said it before the government announce something bandy it about a few times to say ‘hey look how good we are’ then slide it under the carpet. They are full of promises but fail to deliver. Today’s social care funding is typical https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-59401486

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I notice that Peppa Pig is being described as being "on top form" by a man so clever he didn't realise that we traded with the continent via Dover. I'm working on the assumption here that Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab is an honourable man.

17. Ascu75 AKA Don Wood

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood Well-Known Member

I am sure ther right honorable gentleman knows where Dover is, I am more concerned about him knowing his horse from his elbow (insert own metaphor in place of horse)

18. Learning

"Whatever my view of the shortcomings of this deal, Alok Sharma has shown himself to be a person of decency, integrity and commitment as #COP26 President."
    Not my words but from one of the Milliband brothers, neither of whom are Conservative supporters.

19. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

So what? Whichever brother it was he indicated the deal had shortcomings and failed totally to say he thought Alok Sharma was in any way competent or effective. Even if he had, I personally would not take the opinion of either brother as gospel.

Zou likes this.
  20. Learning

Of course you wouldn't. Neither would our resident (self confessed) anarchist who likes your post.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.