1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Road to Senior Year

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by GracieJean, Oct 6, 2021.

1. GracieJean

GracieJean New Member

I took the photo below in my hometown this summer. I love the her orange sweater with her light blue jeans. I take a lot of my senior photos outdoors because unique backgrounds make a nice contrast of colors and lighting. I love how she is smiling so big and her face is in focus while the background is blurry. It sets all the focus on her.

If anyone has any tips for a Canon Rebel T6 camera and taking photos in natural light, please share!

IMG_3935.JPG

daft_biker likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Hi and welcome. Are you just starting out in photography?

It's a nice relaxed shot, but posed smilies are very basic.Lack of a catchlight in the eyes is a pity here. With any camera in available light, you need to be using what you have to best advantage. Think about where and how to pose people and what you want the viewer to take out of the shot. Look forward to seeing more.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi, with senior in the title I was expecting someone somewhat older than 15 or so :). It is a nice shot.

For me it is a bit contrasty. I think you could do a lot to improve on the original - even put some highlights in the eyes and reduce the "I haven't slept in a week" look.

I reduced the contrast and lifted the shadows a bit and increased the vibrance to compensate the colour loss but working with a heavily compressed copy isn't going to give good results. I lightened the eyes but I didn't work on the shadows beneath.

For the forum, after you finished editing, use your software to produce an image for posting that is 800 px on the longest side and use highest quality jpg. You'd be surprised at the difference it gives. With high compression (to make the file size small) you lose tones because small changes are averaged out and contrast goes up. This edit is the size to post at.

not mine IMG_3935.jpg

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That could be a long book! The particular camera doesn't have much to do with it. Over here the Rebel T6 is known as a 1300D (according to wiki anyway).

As Mike said there is a step to take in deciding what you want to achieve - and that can lead to how/where you ask the person to pose and whether they are doing something. I think everyone who starts photography tends to put the subject in the middle* and it takes a lot of practice to take in the whole of the picture and relate to the background. Here it is a pleasant and quite neutral scene but in more urban settings it is easy to get background objects intruding into the composition. As for available light - avoid too high a contrast e.g. shooting in direct sun. Try to avoid the subject looking toward a bright area because this makes them screw their eyes up. For portraiture specifically it can be useful to use a bit of fill-in flash to put highlights in the eyes because the eyes are the main point of engagement for someone looking at the picture. Fill-in is easily overdone though.

*I still do. I tend to use only the centre focussing point and I'll focus and recompose before I take a picture or I'll take a wider view than I need to and then crop to get a better composition when post processing. I don't do much portraiture though, I prefer wildlife and landscape.

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I agree with the comments about adding a little bit of fill flash to make the eyes stand out. You can use the popup flash on your camera to do this, but need to make sure you reduce the flash output. If you aren't confident about using flash, you could use a reflector to throw some light up onto the face.