1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

... for which sort of thing fixed focus and no tripp to the chemist (well, not to get the film developed, anyway!) would be ideal.

I have to confess to smirking about the name myself.

Adrian

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Back in 1965 it was all about "swinging London" and minis (both skirts and cars). It probably made sense to the marketing department at Polaroid... :cool:

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

What would they have called it in the Punk-Age mid 70s- The Zipper?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I have been given 2 Voigtlander VITO Cameras ! A Model 'B' by a camera club member and a Model 'BR' by a subscriber on my YouTube Channel. BOTH had faults. The B had 'Premature Shutter Release' where as I wound film on the shutter fired at end of stroke. also 'V' delayed action would not work. The 'BR' shutter blades would not close leaving a gap. So I had a look. I found out on Flickr VITO B Group how to take off top-plate of Vito B and lubricated the cogs and levers and put one drop of Lighter Fuel down the slot where the V,X and M settings are. Now after many 'actuations' the 'B' shutter seems to work properly but NOT the Delayed Action. On the BR I could not get top=plate off-- one screw had been so damaged there was no 'Slot' left BUT I put some Lighter Fuel onto a Cotton Bud and wiped shutter blade from rear -- now shutter closes and Delayed action works after another drop of Poundland Lighter Fuel dropped into V.X and M slot. I attach snaps with the 'VITO B -- some with flash to test that and some in Chelmsford, Essex -- I have loaded a FILLUM into BR but the Storm has arrived and its' raining and dark !
    [​IMG]Voigtlander Vito B 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Voigtlander Vito B 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Voigtlander Vito BR by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Vito B Tests 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Vito B Tests 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Vito B Tests 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Vito B Tests 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Vito B Tests 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Vito B Tests 06 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

alfbranch, Wab and steveandthedogs like this.
  5. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Oh Dear !! ( Or words to that effect!) -- I processed film from the VITO BR and it was all dense and mostly unusable. The shutter must have been playing up after all -- where I set the 1/300th it looked as if it was running 3 stops SLOWER ! Scans turned out all grainy and terrible colours, also the ones I took at f2.8 full aperture and used the rangefinder supplied were nowhere near sharp. I attach only ONE result -- I thought I had given 1/300th @ f8 but it looks more like 1/15th ! -- 'Artistic Licence' --- !!!
    VITO BR Tests 03.jpg

Zou and Fishboy like this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Ferryman's Cottage, Menai Bridge.

Ferryman's-Cottage.jpg

Retina II and FP4+

S

Zou likes this.
  7. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

First Tests with my 'Gift' 1920's - 1930's Voigtlander BESSA 66 were a bit disappointing.. most negs were Dense and 'Foggy' looking even though I had cleaned the 'Voigtar' un=coated lens as well as I could. It seems every scene with any SKY caused Lens Flare. I used the Yellow Filter on some and gave x2 exposure but the negs were still DENSE. I used a roll of AGFA APX 400 and processed in my Home-made Crawley Formula FX-4 1+1 for 11 mins @ 20oC -- good contrast. not over-developed. Today I tried to take lens apart to deep clean but n o luck in getting retaining ring loose without a proper 'Spanner wrench' . A pity -- now I have found a Lens Hood for next tests. A few negs were NOT flared such as the base of the Metal Sculpture and the Soft Toys ( taken on 'B' using Open Flash Technique at closest focus and f16.
    [​IMG]Voigtlander BESSA 66 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Viewfinder not Centred properly ! a Horse-Trough, Brentwood High Street I used the 1/50th

[​IMG]Bessa 66 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Metal Seat I use as Test Subject -- I used the 1/25th @ f16
    [​IMG]Bessa 66 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    I used the 1/300th + Yellow Filter but neg was dense still -- 1/300th not accurate
    [​IMG]Bessa 66 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    A good neg -- no flare -- I used the 1/100th @ f8
    [​IMG]Bessa 66 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Very Foggy Neg here -- I used the 1/300th + Yellow Filter
    [​IMG]Bessa 66 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    Good Neg -- I used 1/100th @ f5.6
    [​IMG]Bessa 66 07 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    a bit Dense -- I used 'B' +Flash @ f16
    [​IMG]Bessa 66 08 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

8. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

9. gray1720

Given that the streaks are in roughly the same place in each frame, I think they are light leaks too. I've had a few in my time... You may just have to look harder, especially up the corners.

Adrian

10. steveandthedogs

Seem to be coming from the extreme edge - could it be from around the hinge area?

S

11. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Today i went out again -- this time loaded a Kodak VPS 120 found in Fridge left over from when I did Weddings so it is very OLD ! I rated it at 40 ASA on Weston Master V and thought i would try wider apertures and also made sure ' Red Window' was closed after I had set Number 1 on control for the automatic frame counter. I tried some with Lens Hood and some with NO lens hood but holding camera so base-board was uppermost like a hood -- I got NO LEAKS on the 12 frames ! I took some at f4, f5.6 and f8 .
    Brentwood High Street -- f4 and 1/100th dull light
    [​IMG]More BESSA 66 Colour Tests by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    British Red Post Box with small amount of SUN -- 1/100th @ f8
    Becket Chapel Ruins, Brentwood High Street -- some sun, 1/100th @ f8

12. steveandthedogs

Kiev 4M and FP4+:

reflection.jpg

Got this reasonably cheap with a Helios 103 lens. The late model Kievs are supposed to be poorer quality, but this seems fine. So far. I quite like this camera.

S

13. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

YO !! Christmas came early for me ! Given a clean East German Praktica MTL5 3 lens outfit by a Club member who got it from his Cousin who wanted it to go to a 'Good Home'
    Here I used it with a TAMRON SP CF Tele Macro BBAR MC 70-201mm f3.5-4. FILM was 2002 dated AGFA Ultra 50 kept in freezer ( waiting for some SUNSHINE ! )
    I got mostly 1/250 @ f5.6 in full sun. The yellow Lichen was testing the 'Macro' setting 1/125 @ f8 hand held and hoped --

[​IMG]Praktica MTL 5 3 lens outfit by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]MTL5 + Tamron SP CF Tele Macro BBAR MC 70-210mm f3.5-4 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]MTL5 + Tamron SP CF Tele Macro BBAR MC 70-210mm f3.5-4 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

14. steveandthedogs

15. steveandthedogs

And at last, something from the Brownie and Fomapan 100:

wreck.jpg

mussels.jpg

Not quite as sharp as I expected and a light leak somewhere. Possibly not helped by the window being a bit light. Might try a thin coat of glass paint on it. Other leaks may be my fault.

S

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A7687.jpg

This arrived in the post today. It has a partially used roll of film in, and there's antoher roll from 1985 in the bottom of the case. I believe this belonged to my grandfather before it was given to my uncle. My cousin has passed it on to me now that they're sorting through his belongings after he died a few months ago. There is an instruction manual and a couple of boxes of associated 'bits' with it so here's hoping I can get soemthing out of it!

EightBitTony and steveandthedogs like this.
  17. gray1720

Oooh, wow! Welcome to the dark s(l)ide, Kath, that looks like a lovely beast to get going with!

Adrian

18. gray1720

A few from the Moskva (which also features here: Something I found interesting )

Moskva003.jpg
    Moskva004.jpg
    Moskva005.jpg
    Moskva002.jpg

Not sure what's going on up the edge of the Buttermere pic - some kind of scan artefact, it's not on the print.

Adrian

19. steveandthedogs

Llanrhychwyn - Eglwys Rhychwyn Sant:

tightener.jpg

church.jpg

lych-gate.jpg

Yashicamat, PanF

S

20. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I took my lovely 1969 ROLLEIFLEX 3.5F Planar to Leigh-on-Sea Essex (England) to use up some 10/2002 dated Fuji Superia 400 which I rated at 200 ASA and home-processed
    Scan was with CANON 9000F Mk II + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer. I had to do a bit of 'colour correction.'
    [​IMG]Superia 400 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Superia 400 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Superia 400 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    all the Traditional Cockle Industry has finished and all the old Cockle Sheds demolished -
    [​IMG]Superia 400 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr