1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Not offended. Just felt like having a rant :D

2. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Yes we all feel the need sometimes.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Forgot one.
    More Vito:

[​IMG]protest by Steve Ashton, on Flickr

Liverpool Anti-Brexit march.

The only time I've felt comfortable photographing people at close range in the street.

S

5. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

OK -- I used my Olympus XA2 this time to compare with the previous XA snaps -- I could not find the tin of bulk Fuji 'Surveicolor' film I used in XA but i found a Ferrania 'Solaris 800' dated 09/06 -- I had bought several when 'Fresh' for local Press Work before I got my Digital Pentax K10D and has one left -- so i rated it at 500 ASA ( GOOD GUESS!) and processed in C41 . Negs were a bit 'foggy' and scans had some scan lines and high grain. I got my older Epson 1650 flatbed working again and re-scanned and think results were better so i will try to show you those ( NOT on Flickr but straight out of Computer )
    XA2 Solaris 01.jpg XA2 Solaris 02.jpg XA2 Solaris 03.jpg

6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I did a VIDEO about the Olympus XA and XA2 cameras -- you c an see it here :

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete, must get my red XA2 out - if I can just finish the film in the Zenit 12 first!

Adrian

8. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I cut that old Solaris 800 and loaded my lovely 'Gift' 1975 era Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F with it -- the battery still works so i set 500ASA and finished the fillum. This time my Epson 1650 flatbed refused to work again so I used my Epson 2480 flatbed + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer.
    50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar @ f2
    [​IMG]Spotmatic F + 'Solaris 800' by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar @ f5.6

24mm f3.5 SMC Takumar @ f5.6

9. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Gave my 'Saved From The Dump' 1985 CONTAX RTS II Quartz an outing -- it had a 'bang' on corner so frame counter sticks on 'S' -- but it was FREE at same time I got a Yashica FR-1 also with a 'bang' and THAT frame counter also stuck on 'S' but never look a 'Gift Horse in the Mouth' ---- I found some vintage Kodak Tri-X cassettes in fridge, no box so do not know the date. One had film wound all inside so I cut a clip an d ;processed it and there were IMAGES on it from previous owner --- so i developed the rest and it was over 30 shots on a beach, waves, rocks and stuff.
    I used one cassette and rated it down to 250 ASA and processed in home-made IDII 1+1 for 10 mins @ 20oC. Here is ONE photo 'worth showing' from the tests -- 'Paul of Iceland Store' in Brentwood High Street by available light, auto @ f2 on the 50mm f1.4 Planar T* lens-- very grainy and high fog level on film.
    [​IMG]Paul of Iceland Store by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

steveandthedogs likes this.
  10. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Gave one of my two British 'Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model 1' cameras a From the Alley.jpg High Street ( Ensign).jpg Red Jar.jpg trip out loaded with a cut length of 2006 dated Konica VX 400 Pro that I home-processed in a new mix of C41. I got 'scan lines' again even though I have cleaned the glass top and underneath of the Epson 2480 flatbed scanner, also i found the camera seemed to 'back focus' -- subjects BEHIND the principal focus were sharper. Next time I'll use the OTHER Selfix Model 1. Lens is a 75mm f4.5 'Ensar' I metered with a Weston Master III set to 250 ASA.

Attached Files:

11. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

a Lady gave me a 1936 Zeiss Ikon folder with f7.7 'Nettar' lens and there was a FILM inside - a Verichrome Pan -- must be at least 35 years old ! So i processed it in DK50 formula 1+1 for 12 mins @ 20oC and got some good negs -- a bit DENSE due to over=exposure. I had to use 'hard paper grade' to print -- Kentmere Bromide Stipple Grade 3.
    She has given me permission to show results.
    [​IMG]Zeiss Ikon Folder by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Old Verichrome Pan by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Is that the West Pier at Brighton?

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I think it might well be, looks like I vaguely remember it...

Actually having had a closer look on flickr and with a bit of googling I think it's more likely the Palace Pier. The buildings halfway along look right for the Palace rather than the West...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  14. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I thought it was Hastings Pier ---

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I have no I-pier....I'll get me coat;)

16. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

Probably as well. :)

17. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

Back in my film days I was microfilm technician. I understood all there was to know about film technology. High end Nikon gear. Understood light, rule of thirds, aperture effects, furst curtain flash etc etc.

I loaned my 14 year old lad my old Aires 35mm rangefinder when his nan took him on a day out to Alton Towers. From his roll of 36 shots about 25 were compositionally better than anything I ever shot.
    He had, the eye.
    It contributed to me leaving photography for 20 years.
    But I'm back! :mad:

18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Not sure I'm going to bother trying to find a film for this one!
    [​IMG]Super Swinger by gray1720, on Flickr
    Adrian

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I owned an original Swinger: the white one with the smaller image size. I got it for a knock down price in a clearance sale. It came with one film and once I'd used that up I felt no inclination to buy more. :(

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I thought Swinger cameras were used at Adult Only parties....