1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The Relic Challenge

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Apr 20, 2012.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Lovely stuff and sharp.
    Skopar?

S

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Yes, f4.5 Skopar, and a Compur shutter to 1/300th - decent spec actually!

Adrian

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

4. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Results of my trip to Brick Lane, LONDON with my 'Gift' Olympus OM-10 + 11/2006 outdated Fuji Velvia Fillum ! Donor had said " camera not working, mirror locked up, shutter doesn't work but you can have it" -- SO I Checked Batteries First ( as you do ! ) and with NEW SR44 1.5V mirror cxame down, shutter worked ! So I renewed light seal strips in back and lubricated teh cogs and levers in base-plate and now camera is Very Happy and winds on sweetly ! I rated film at 32 ASA as it was 'Old' and used G-Zuiko Auto-W 28mm f3.5 lens for these snaps ---
    [​IMG]OM-10 : Velvia in Brick Lane by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

That last shot's a corker @PeteE

6. gray1720

These'll knot your gusset, Ashton! Voigtlander Vito II, Kentmere 100, Rodinal 1:50. I have to say that, for 100ISO film, it's really quite grainy. I use Rodinal for convenience - maybe I should save a load of films up and mix up a batch of Microphen while I still have some?

I'm mildly amused that, even with a spirit level in the shoe, I have a wonky horizon, must be the tripod as I list to the opposite side! I've even got a pic of me hard at work with the Vito...

Vito002.jpg Vito010ed.jpg

[​IMG]Serious photography! by gray1720, on Flickr

7. steveandthedogs

Ignoring the grain, isn't the Skopar a nice lens? And the Vito is a little beauty as well.

I think K100 is a bit grainier than others, and with Rodinal...

Have you tried Rollei R80s and 400s? I won't say grain-free, but not far off in Ilfosol3. With the added bonus that you can stick a R72 on and get IR pics! And a further added bonus that it's cheap. Seems less grainy in Rodinal as well.

I'll now go and untwist my underpants.

S

8. steveandthedogs

Talking of Voigtlanders, I've just bought a Bessa/Skopar which I think has been in someone's attic since 1946. The shutter was gummed up, but I've cleaned the grease off it and the fast speeds are now fine. The body looks almost unmarked and shiny and there is a metal spool in it on the fresh film side. There was also a 6x4.5 mask inside, also unmarked! Tempted to send off for a CLA. Hmm, Ed Trzoska or Newton Ellis?

WHR-web.jpg

Bit of a rush shot, passed the train further up, parked car and dived out, trying to guess exposure and distance on the hoof so quite pleased with this.

S

9. gray1720

Oooh that sounds nice, Steve, mine's definitely been well used!

NIce choochoo.

Adrian

10. steveandthedogs

One day I'll post a picture of it.

Welsh Highland, running backwards down to Caernarfon harbour.

S

11. gray1720

I wondered where it was. I don't think it yet ran to Caernarfon when I was that way last (camped at Waunfawr - very nice if you like trains!)

Adrian

12. steveandthedogs

You can get from C/fon, via Porthmadog and Blaenau Ffestiniog to Llandudno on a train these days. Mind you, it'll take about a week.

S

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Good old Southern Rail....:D

14. gray1720

Some pics from my Certo Dolly, which I don't seem to have a phot of. It's a dinky little folder that takes half-frame on 127 pics!

However I have a nasty feeling that the film (Rerapan 100) is going off - very murky, and the last one defintely has light coming through the paper. Annoyingly, taken within a few minutes of the train pic, which doesn't. Make sense of that!

Adrian
    2018004ed.jpg 2018007ed.jpg 2018008ed.jpg

15. steveandthedogs

Shame about the Rerapan, there's something very 40's/50's about the bottom two.

S

16. gray1720

Mmm, I'm going to have to find the first time I used the stuff, and see what they looked like then - trouble is I have to squash the film under a bit of anti-Newton glass to scan it as I dont have a 127 fit adapter, which doesn't help. Could be the texture on the glass coming through (though that is defintely the film backing on the cricket shot).

Adrian

17. gray1720

Hmm. Definitely a drop-off in quality. Bugger - still got five rolls in the fridge!

Adrian
    2018007ed.jpg Dolly013ed.jpg

18. gray1720

More fun from the No 2 Portrait Coronet. Coronet were based in Brum, and coiuld fairly be decribed as making cheap rubbish. I don't think there was evera quality camera in the Coronet line-up, so to discover that this baby was coloured (thought it was a Kodak when I opened the case) and had a foldaway portrait lens (use at three feet ONLY) came as big surprises.

The shutter is very slow, can't be more than 1/10th of a second, so I used almost the slowest film I had (the slowest is reserved for re-spooling under a safelight as it's ortho), Rollei Retro 80S. Had go at using the portrait lens - see here for me in action: Kew summer '18 meet

You know what? Actually, it was rather good fun. For the crappiness of the camera the results were surprisingly good, quite acceptable at a period 6x9 contact print size, and because the back slides on rather than having a door, there's no light leaks - though the vignetting is interesting.

Here it is:

[​IMG]Coronet Portrait box camera by gray1720, on Flickr

And here's the entire roll.

Attached Files:

19. steveandthedogs

R80s is a cracking film, but it isn't ortho - in fact it has extended red to near infra-red sensitivity. Sure you don't mean Rollei Ortho?

The Coronet may be a crappy camera, but you're right about the results, good, aren't they? Apart from the vignetting! But even that adds something.

S

20. gray1720

No, the Ortho stayed in the fridge, as I mean to respool onto 118 paper under a red light. I definitely used Rollei 80S.

Adrian