1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Relic Challenge is go!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Feb 3, 2012.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've just had an exchange of email with Olly at AP, and the Relic Challenge can get an edition's worth of "Spotlight" to itself!

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?95801-Anyone-for-a-Relic-Challenge for those who haven't seen it already.

That's great news, really exciting, and of course means that now I have to get it running. Eek...

So... Does anyone have any preferences on a date/date range? I'd like a week or weekend as that gives people more time, but I guess we could just do a "shoot by" date - and leave strict dates for anyone who wants to have a group meeting somewhere? I'm still hoping to get some forum space as well as the Spotlight, but I'm not 100% sure as to whether posting images here first will reduce its impact on the magazine.

Adrian

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Just give me the date (fingers crossed I won't be working!).

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Congratulations, me and my Butcher number 6 Carbine, serial D3132, are ready and waiting. I bet its full of light leaks but i don't want to run any film through it until the challenge :)

As with Zou, just give me a time :)

4. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

I'll have to go buy some film for my mother's Olympus trip and my old Practika super TL (if I can find it).

Where does one buy film these days?

5. gray1720

Given that you are first to jump, say when you are working and I'll start "thinking" - I want a bit of leeway anyway so everyone can have a go.

Alan, judging by this:http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/sto...-+cheapest+free&langId=-1&catalogId=11051 you can still get in Boots. Snappy Snaps will do it as well, haven't been in Jessops for yonks, but I expect they have a dusty roll somewhere, and there's AG Photographic, Silverprint, 7 Day shop online...

Last time I went in there, Boots were doing five-packs of Fuji 200 colour film for about £8, and they were on three for two, so you got 15 films for just over a pound a go. Haven't been back in a while, as that's what I did, so I've no idea whether it's still running. Good enough for fun if it is, though!

Adrian

6. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

In Edinburgh,our £1 bargain stores are selling 35mm 24 exposure Kodak film...for :-
    Surprise surprise....£1. :)

7. gray1720

[Casablanca accent] Film in £1 shop for £1? I am shocked! [/Casablanca accent]

Adrian

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Due to the nature of my work and shifts in general, I can't advise any particular dates, but would agree a good 2 week window is a nice proposition. This gives time to both shoot and develop/scan/edit the results suitable for publication. Were you given any indication of publication date?

9. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Don't worry, regards publication, AP will accommodate :) I look forward to seeing the results.

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Ok. sounds good...
    What are the rules and dates
    Can we just do home town shots? ....group events might be nice but more difficult....

11. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind that many 'relics' would require good lighting perhaps a period straddling late spring/early summer would help.

12. AlanClifford

Wife has just said that she has a Kodak Brownie 127.

13. AlanClifford

And her father's Agfa, probably from the '50's. Apparently there is a box of old cameras in one of the cupboards - there is so much stuff in this house that I don't even know exists!

I just found a 36 exp Fujifilm super hq, 200 speed, dated May 2004. I wonder if it is still usable? It cost $8.95.

14. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Does this qualify for a relic? It's falling to bits

I think my film stock might be classed as relic also, I'm sure I've got a roll of Provia dated 1999 in the freezer

15. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

A two-week window is good for me.

16. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

How 'relicy' does it have to be (anything that uses film could qualify!!). I need to get on eBay pronto!
    Are we talking a minimum age or what?
    I'm in, by the way.....:D

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I got quite excited when I read the title, then realised it was photographic and lost interest. As a ' relic' myself I could think of far more interesting challenges.

18. gray1720

Brian - think of a challenge for you as an old relic, and post a photo of you doing it!

I'd like to keep it simple, and as free as possible to let lots of people have a go. So some thoughts.

Date - Long fortnight? How about 28th April - 13th May? That way there's two weeks, three weekends, and a bank hol in there as well - lots of time for photography, plenty of dates for meetings if you so wish, and hopefully the light will be bright enough!

Place - Earth? I'm not fussed. Organise or join a meet if you can (I can do an Oxford one, especially if anyone would like to borrow a Box Brownie), meet a friend, take the kids to the beach... the world is your mollusc as far as I am concerned.

Is it a relic? Let's keep this easy. A few ideas - we can go for none, or all and use them as inspiration (my preference).

1. Anything film. I won't stop you if you want to dredge out an old 1 megapixie digital though. The main idea is to use something older than you usually would.

2. Still use film regularly? Something that you don't or wouldn't normally use. Of course, if you want to shoot your regular film baby I'm not stopping you - unless it's something I particularly covet, when I might mug you for it ;).

3. Older than the shooter.

4. Weird and wacky - 110 clip-ons, 127 boxes, Purmas, weird junk you've had for years and never got round to using...

I don't know yet whether we will be able to get a special bit of forum space, or whether it'll be a dedicated thread somewhere. Either way, I suggest that a photo of the camera you used should precede any pictures you post.

Images for Spotlight will have to be submitted individually (though perhaps we could suggest ones we particularly like as candidates?). The criteria are, I think, the same as usual with a little extra info on the choice of camera, but I'll post them closer to the time when we've general agreement on what is happening.

Right, I think I've spouted for long enough...

Adrian

19. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

Happy.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

As a dragon once said....I'm in:D