1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Quiraing, 2 pictures.

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

A couple of mono conversions of The Quiraing on the Isle of Skye.
    The colour versions weren't much to look at, just too much green this time of year.
    All comments and crit welcome as always. Thanks for looking.

Looking north.
    [​IMG]

And south.
    [​IMG]

2. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

They are crackers! They make me realize that I have a long journey to go :)

3. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

For this location, I'd rather see the 'green' Scott - then again, mono's not my thing.

4. Helander

Thanks, everybody makes that journey but you should enjoy it first and foremost.

I sort of agree and know what you mean but it really was an overpowering green fest, the light was poor too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

nice shots, but I think I prefer some of your slightly softer work. This is a little strong for me for the context, but it's purely subjective. You must get through some serious walking...

6. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

I think I prefer the view North with the way you've processed this although both are crackers.

The more I look south I can't help but feel that tree could play a bigger part in the shot, maybe at a different time of year though?.

I need to get back to Skye last time I was there I wasn't into photography :( your shots are inspiration enough to make the journey again.

7. Helander

Cheers Scott. That bloody tree!
    Sat for ages waiting for the dappled sunlight to hit that bloody tree. It never happened and had other places to be.
    You must go back to Skye. The midgeys and tourist were hellish so I think I'll make a return in the early Autumn and then Spring. It's just too green for me this time of year which is far too bloody cheery.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, I enjoyed it when I went......by bike and in failing light! :D Agree with Bob that I like to see it green though as the grassy slopes there are about as steep as I've encountered. (the bit down from the needle to the amphitheatre sticks in my memory for that reason)

9. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

lol....

I've never seen the "green" version but I love what you've done with these - very nice and I would be looking for a nice frame to print them

10. MEKent

MEKent Well-Known Member

More interest in the North, but for me the South just looks more comfortable - having something on the right hand side (although I've no idea why!).

Wonderful images, well captured and processed.

Mark

11. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

It's a tricky choice. I like them both, a lot. Fabulous sky's in both images.

I'd proudly hang them both on my wall.

12. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

Really do like these. I prefer the first as I think the rock in the middle helps lead the eye in. Great moody atmosphere in both

13. Jefffers

Jefffers Well-Known Member

Two dramatic, rich monochromes - very nice. Many years since I was up there- is the Old Man of Storr part of this range? I seem to remember posing in a manly fashion by a detached pillar of rock.

Geoff

14. Helander

Thanks folks for your kind comments and crit.

yeah Jeffers, Storr is part of this range. If you look at the southern view Storr will be away in the distance centre of image. Its not visible in this picture but it's there or there abouts.

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Like em both and I bet they look even better bigger...

Worth :cool::cool::cool:

16. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Both are great. First just edges it for me though.

17. Atirez

Atirez Member

Even at this small size they look and feel vast and endless. Great captures!

18. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Very striking atmospheric images - great stuff as usual :D

19. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

(Touch of the Dan Maskells): "Oh, I say!"

;)

[Well that's the next LPoTY put well out of my court. :(]

20. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Excellent mono conversion, suits the moody sky. I like them both, couldn't choose between the two!