1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

The prudent long-distance traveller...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mark, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

...will always take sufficient reading matter, refreshments, umbrellas, walking sticks, binoculars, cameras, lenses, blankets, musical instruments, etc, in one's cabin baggage to ensure complete comfort and convenience for the duration of the journey.
    Acknowledgements to my great friend Frank O'Connor for actually taking this shot!

[​IMG]

(The good looking lad at the front of the queue - with all the baggage - was me, our reporter was the wonderful Kate Adie)

[Picture rediscovered this morning, and posted in response to various recent "how much gear do you take with you / what's in the bag?" posts.

2. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Good grief Mark!:eek::D

Is that Kate Adie in the blue dress?Her book,The Kindness Of Strangers is a really good read.Recommended.
    She`s a fine journalist.

3. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Yep, the one and only! We always knew the story was 'serious' if Kate was covering it! Together with the other guys in the photo, we made up two news camera crews, plus a lighting man, plus a picture editor, and the engineer too...

...and, of course, KA.

Checking my diary, on that occasion we were 'let off' with just being billed for 500kg of excess baggage in total. :(:eek::eek:

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I always found it most weird that wherever Kate Adie went a war started!

Now, some will say that she went to places where wars had already started... but I'm not so sure.

All I can say is that I once saw her in Bournemouth and I caught the next train out of there, just in case!

5. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Thank heavens for miniaturisation!

P.S. Mark, is your red fleece in the wash? :)

Mike

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

That was my impression too!

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, can you remember, or hazard a guess what the actual baggage weight was?

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Probably smuggling enough weapons to start a war....

Graeme

9. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that as we had 'the right' frequent flier plastic we got about 30kg each as our allowance!? Obviously that had to include our personal bags - although most people 'travelled light'. It was the field editing kit that made up the bulk of the weight - which nowadays has mostly been replaced by laptops and some very clever software linking them into the central newsroom system.

The miniaturisation has just gone up a notch. I was talking to some friends at the BBC yesterday who told me that they don't often get into realms of the excess baggage at all nowadays.

Cause or effect?! She was a great lady to work with and, IIRC, she is still busy presenting "From our own correspondent" on Radio 4. She remains one of the few journalists that I would trust with my life - as I guess I did on several occasions in the dim and distant past.