1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pod or Cam-Pod Camera Support?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by matty, Nov 12, 2006.

1. matty

matty Member

Thinking of getting a camera support for taking with me to Africa in just under 2 weeks.

Seen these two:

http://www.thepod.ca/

http://www.cam-pod.com/

In my eyes the 1st is easier to get hold of in this country but the second seems to offer more support for the lens and camera.

Anyone used either?

Thanks in advance.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The last time I was in Kenya as a resident was over 30 years ago when I was using a Pentax M42 300mm f4 with Agfa 50 asa positive stock (CT18) that could be processed same day in Nairobi. For shots in the game parks you are likely to be confined to an open sided Toyota. The lightest camera support for this situation is a bean bag. For convenience take the bag with you; you can fill it with beans or maize on site. I understand that things haven't changed much since then. If you are doing some sort of foot safari then take a monopod. Waving a monopod and shouting anything, as long as it is loud, is just as effective at a big cat as it is against an overley inquisitive British bullock (one without balls that is). Don't try this with buffalo,hippo, or elephant however; it can be fatal - to the human, not the game animal. I have assumed here that you are after the wild life. For photography in the towns then take whatever you would use here plus a large imposing askari to clobber anyone who tries to mug you.
    Back to wildlife, be aware that big game doesn't always appear on schedule. I suggest that you take a macro lens. The insect life, don't laugh, is just as exiting as big game when it is viewed a few time s life size. This is not a joke, I'm serious. If you are on a trip of a lifetime then £500 on a good macro lens is just as important as your super £2000+ telephoto zoom.

3. ceb83

ceb83 Member

Why not try a double bean-bag from www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk ? Prices start from £18.90. They're tough as old boots!! Provide excellent stability. Just fill with seed, etc. on arrival.
    Enjoy yourself & happy snapping!!

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use a Pod, both for resting the camera on and for supporting a long lens against a vehicle window etc. - it's not bad. Have you thought about a monopod, though?

5. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Filling a spare sock with maize, lentils or similar will give a small but useable beanbag! I use a pod - but only with a compact, although I can see it being handy under a telephoto lens collar.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Good Man. No cost, and improvise on the spot. Brilliant.

Why isn't this on a general thread. It is just as valid for digital as trad?

7. SteveEM

SteveEM Well-Known Member

Hi,

I just ordered the cam pod from OZ via evilbay for the grand sum of £15 inc shipping..will report back when it shows up..

cheers Steve.