1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pink Floyd Effect (Tribute band)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Oct 23, 2018.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Best tribute act I've seen is King Rocker. An Elvis tribute act that does rock covers instead of Elvis tracks.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

As long as he’s wearing a blue cap and a big bird on his arm so I can recognise him.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

That's no way to talk about Pete's wife!

Gezza and dream_police like this.
  4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Which one? The one who doesn't like cover bands and thinks we should all be supporting original music or the one who thinks all musicians should play for free?

Answer is both as far as I am concerned

Some cover bands are dire "Motorheadache" were. The singer had false warts on that kept falling off and they were too loud!

I know that might be a strange comment for a Motorhead tribute band but the venue wasn't the Hammy O etc so the distortion was horrible and no one could actually hear the band

I thought the finale was when the pillock singer asked if there were any hot chicks who wanted to dance on stage! I put my hand up and he was trying to ignore me as in repeatedly asking for hot chicks to come on stage . He finally let me on stage as a couple of girls came on probably expecting to be able to call me a "game old bird" at the end

The two "Hot chicks" sorta jiggled from side to side completely out of time

I got on the stage checked for trailing cables then moved. Did I mention I did modern dance training or that Stacia from Hawkwind gave me some lessons or the fact I have been headbanging for so long the fittest part of me is the back of my neck?

He didn't know what hit him!

5. LesleySM

Surely I must have told you about the worse cover band ever?

Something of a vanity project by the singer and his friends. They paid a couple of friends of ours who played lead and bass and were session musicians who were offered £50 each (and this was 1980) to play

Singer and friends then said they didn't need to rehearse with the guitarists as it was covers so the guitarists looked at the set list and there was nothing on it they couldn't play

Come the night..

Well the drummer had no sense of rhythm

The keyboard player had a kit that would have made Rick Wakeman look twice (It was a small stage in a local pub and basically everything else had to be crammed in) alas he turned out to be "all the gear and no idea"

To be fair the singer had a good voice...For an Elvis impersonator .....

And his repetoire for the evening? Well imagine Elvis singing "Another Brick in the Wall" complete with "Uh-huh!" at regular intervals

The finale was "Anarchy in the UK"

The guitarists finished first, the drummer next, the keyboard player had got distracted and strayed into prog rock territory and finished a clear 30 seconds after everyone else including the singer who's been signing "I am an anti- Christ Uh-huh!"

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Oops, didn't realise there were two pillocks! Thought it was just one.

"Motorheadache". Sounds appropriate for them!

As for the vanity project, I don't believe you. Nobody could be that bad.

Could they?

S

ps actually, yes they could. There is a Uilleann piper around here who is as bad. And a Morris dancing friend who has been "dancing" for forty years and still hasn't a clue about timing or positioning. Or anything else.

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I like cover bands that make an effort with their name - there was a fairly local Oasis cover band that called themselves 'Oas-ish' which I quite liked, although my favourite for hands-down silliness was the cover band from the Midlands called 'Fred Zeppelin'.

As far as "interesting" players are concerned, there used to be a chap who'd occasionally turn up for local jam nights. I never knew his name - we all referred to him as 'The Chaos Saxophonist'. It was great watching people who'd never met him before...he'd saunter up to whoever was playing, hold up his saxophone and say "Hey man, do you mind if I...like...join in?" If they agreed he'd sit down and just play bizarre free-form jazz over whatever they were playing, complete with all manner of strange shrieks and farting noises. At the end he'd just nod at the person he was 'accompanying', say "cool, man" and wander off back to his beer.

Cheers, Jeff

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Are you sure he wasn't actually very good and just extracting the used beer?

S

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I saw them too and they really were good. They use a lot of Pink Floyd's old kit. I bought one of their t-shirts - its the Animals cover, only with a pink kangaroo flying over Battersea Power Station. :D

Gezza likes this.
  10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The only Floyd cover band I've seen are Think Floyd, who are also actually rather good.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I'm feeling a bit deprived - I've only ever seen the real Pink Floyd with the Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason line-up. :(

Mind you, a friend of mine was in a covers band called Live and Dangerous - guess who they covered - and I saw them live once. :)

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Please, please tell us that you didn't do the full Stacia act, and those were what hit him!

On second thoughts he'd never have lived it down. Argh, which thought do I let win?

Adrian

13. dream_police

I am in a restaurant in Spain that is playing cover versions in the background and Wish You Were Here has just come on with a bit of a reggae beat. By an artist called Lazy according to SoundHound. Certainly different!

Catriona likes this.
  14. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Seems to me he was making a statement - and not a very complimentary one! ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  15. dream_police

Sat on my lonesome in a rather bizzare place in Girona. The menus are actually stuck to old LP covers. The only things missing from this place are some hippies and some weed.

John Farrell likes this.
  16. dream_police

I’m currently on a 500+ km drive so I thought I’d listen to Echoes on Amazon Music. My fat fingers on my iPhone keyboard when putting their name in brought a Ponk Gloyd. Now there’s a name for a tribute band!

17. LesleySM

Do you mean strip naked apart from body paint?

Didn't have any body paint and was not stripping naked for a Lemmy wannabe with stick on warts

I DO have some standards you know!!!

gray1720 likes this.
  18. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

If you did then we need photos!;)

19. LesleySM

Should you be fortunate that they come your way try the "Bikini Beach Band"

Three guitarists and a drummer. All dressed in identical loud outfits who do covers with a
    Hawaiian sound and move in a synchronised fashion

Gezza likes this.
  20. LesleySM

I am very fond of them-For some reason this PC still has a folder called "Dave's photos" and one folder is of them at a gig in Vicky Park and he took some good shots on my old D3100 (I just got the D7000)~ that would have been 2013 before he got ill