1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pink Floyd Effect (Tribute band)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

My wife knows that I am a huge Pink Floyd fan so as an early Christmas present she has managed to get us a couple of tickets to see "The Pink Floyd Effect". They are a tribute band who according to the reviews I have read on line are really quite good. I know that online reviews van be a bit misleading so has anyone on here actually seen them and if so are they as good as the reviews say or might I end up a little disappointed please?

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I can't bring myself to go and see tribute bands, just in case they're better than the original band.

3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I’ve seen Aussie floyd a few times and they were brilliant, apparently they played at Dave gilmours birthday party and he said they were better than the original.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I've been told if you want to hear how they should sound you see the Australian pink Floyd and not the real ones.

He seems to have mellowed with age but Roger Waters was cringeworthy on a lot of his live releases and I prefer the studio stuff. Not sure about Dave Gilmour concerts either....I like the classic tunes but not his lovey dovey solo stuff.

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

All presents are good...whether they are good or bad!......I go to Benidorm four times a year because I am a very much a (senior) teenager again (I wish)...You name the band and there is a tribute band named after them! some are so good and because of modern technology a lot of the tribute artist's are better than the originals although I have not seen a Pink Floyd tribute there I have heard many of their numbers and they are good, the best tribute band in Beni is without doubt the Beatles, and none of the four have ever been to Liverpool or even stepped foot in England so they say, then there's Neil Diamond, Shirley Bassey, and many more, enjoy the show and use a little imagination and the best years come rolling back!...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Gezza likes this.
  6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was once in a club in Beijing and there was a Beatles tribute band playing. They were Chinese, their English not the best and they were unintentionally funny. It wasn’t as if it was a tourist place, we were the only white faces in there.

I haven’t seen any tribute floyd acts, although I know people who have, and say they are good, certainly the Australian Floyd. They fill arenas, and not some pub act that sing to backing tapes.

I have seem pink floyd twice and Roger Waters once, enjoyed all of them and I would be happy to watch a tribute band but there again I like going to gigs anyway.

I have just looked on YouTube. Don’t seem too bad.

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Every symphony orchestra in the world is a tribute band!

Go along, enjoy, keep your wife happy . . . . . it's not like you have a choice! :)

ascu75, Roger Hicks, DaveM399 and 3 others like this.
  8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

A few weeks ago we went to see the Bon Jovi tribute band Bon Giovi. Really were excellent. Ok at times you imagined 'Jon Bon Jovi' back in the dressing room could have been a version of Tony Angelino from Only Fools and Horses, but you have to put that out of your mind and just enjoy the evening.

9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've heard of them, and I've been told that they're very good, although I haven't seen them myself. I believe that on their current tour they play a bit of a mixture of stuff in the first half of the show and then play all of Dark Side of the Moon for the second half (with a couple of classic Floyd songs for an encore). I reckon you'll have a good night.

Cheers, Jeff

10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I have a friend who hates tribute bands because he reckons venue should always have "real" "live music" by "original" bands

I am more realistic a lot of the bands I like are either no longer touring or split up or I couldn't afford the tickets if they did

I take the view it's a night out and supporting a venue. One of the local venues I go to can support unknown bands in the week because a tribute band at the weekend puts money over the bar.

Also some semi-professional musicians I know also work cover bands because despite what a friend says that "music should be free and they should not prostitute their gift" that ain't gonna cut the mustard with the landlord etc. They're all good enough to play covers with their eyes closed and it's work to pay a few bills

Also cover bands sometimes use local bands as supports I went to a "Motoheadache" gig at said local venue and they were awful! But the support band I brought the CD

And Saturday I am going to Hoaxwind

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Your friend is a bit of a pillock.

S

Gezza and dream_police like this.
  12. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I am sure that I will enjoy myself going to see them. I'm not sure if photography will be allowed but I will slip a small video camera into my pocket just in case. I'll let you all know how things sounded and looked after the concert.
    Thanks for the replies.

ascu75 likes this.
  13. dream_police

On the whole I agree, but I can also see the friends point of view if it was a tribute act that plays to a backing tape and is in in fact an impersonating karaoke act of which there are many. For that I’d rather pull out my teeth.

14. dream_police

Looking at their tour, it looks like they are all a bit of way from Rochdale too, so looks like you have a night away aswell so make the most of it.
    Let’s be honest too, most of us have probably been to see original acts that have been shit or disappointing. Have a good time. if they had been playing in Manchester or close by I’d go and see them.

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Ah, I should have pointed out that singing to a backing tape should be confined to the singer's living room.
    On pain of pain.

S

16. dream_police

I went to an outdoor concert a few years ago, with the Human League as the main act (they were very good) and they had several 80’s acts in support. One of those was Toyah. She was like a tribute act of herself. It was only her on stage singing to a backing track. She took the piss out of herself TBH, but I really felt for her. I saw her several times in my youth and this was just an embarrassment and I’d rather have seen a tribute Toyah with a backing band rather than that.

17. Fishboy

They're playing in Bacup (hopefully they'll drown out the sound of the local big-eared boys strumming on their banjos) which is 7.6 miles away from Rochdale Town Hall.

Cheers, Jeff

18. dream_police

Oh I didn’t see that venue on the list. In that case I might go and see them.

Not sure how long it’ll take to get my visa though.:)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  19. dream_police

I've just booked tickets for me and my good lady. Her response was "I can't believe you want to watch a tribute band, but i'll come and keep you company" . Ungrateful sod.:)

20. Fishboy

Say 'hello' to Pete while you're there!

Cheers, Jeff