1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The perils of technology

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, Jul 27, 2021.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Horses have always pushed, never pulled.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Indeed but many people think otherwise

3. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago driving into Abinton from the north on the long straight between the roundabout and the village I saw a truck coming towards me in the middle of the road. Driver looking down at something (hopefully his phone) rather than throught the front windscreen. Solid blast on horn. The driver looked up momentarilly rather irritated and pulled over a bit such that if I slowed right down and put two wheels on the grass verge I could just avoid being hit. Hand back on horn and held it there. Truck driver then looking seriously annoyed pulled fully over to his side of the road. I really, really wished I had had a dashcam.

Zou likes this.
  4. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I did read once that race horses pull rather than pushed but it did seem rather unlikely. Why develop a big muscular @r$e if it is just additional weight for your forelegs to drag along? I cannot imagine steeplechasers pulling themselves over the fences.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58009784
    Only two years for causing bodily harm by wanton or furious driving.

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Is that statement intended to demonstrate that the mile isn't a "stupid measurement"? o_O :confused:

Learning likes this.
  7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just remembered fishing this out of a skip maybe 30 years ago; produced during the halcyon days of cycling.
    2021-07-29a.jpg

It 'finishes' at the Anchor Hotel, Ripley, a mecca for members of the Cycle Club.

2021-07-29b.jpg

daft_biker likes this.
  8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Nah, he's just trying to get some use out of the tables on one of his old school exercise books; y'know, like this...
    [​IMG]

John Farrell and peterba like this.
  9. Learning

From the above you will realise that I was aware of the chain measurement of length before this recent discussion.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

FB_IMG_1627578878201.jpg

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

We were talking about draught horses. Whether it's a cart, a canal boat, Plough, or whatever it's always pushed by a horse.

Learning likes this.
  12. peterba

I'd have expected everyone (over around 50 years of age) to be aware of the chain, and the other early measurements. We were taught about them in the Primary School.

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I’m 57 this year. I don’t ever recall learning about them, except for the obvious ones.

peterba likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It was reserved for the smart kids.

Probably why I never got my head around imperial measurements either.

AndyTake2 and peterba like this.
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

One of the grooms at the stable I used to ride from (I was a typical pony mad kid years ago) was charged with being drunk in charge of a horse

16. Learning

You youngsters have no idea about traditional measurements. Equally you do not know what instruments were not on an ordinary car.
    I bought my first 4 wheel vehicle around sixty years ago. A few years before that I remember two traction engines pulling a drag bucket across a small flood compensation lake to remove mud. The drums no doubt held a furrow length of cable. The furrow length came a few hundred years before traction engines. A furrow length was the distance that an ox (or was it a pair of them?) could pull a plough before taking a short breather to turn the plough.
    Our junior school teacher tried to bring this stuff to life and made a good job of it. An acre was the area that could be ploughed in a day. It is a furrow length long and a cricket pitch wide. i.e. 220 yards by 22 yards.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The Chain of which I am most aware is that by Fleetwood Mac.

peterba likes this.
  18. peterba

Ever heard the saying: 'Education is wasted on the young'? ;) :D

19. peterba

That's undoubtedly a more worthwhile one, of which to be aware! :)

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Looking at SXH’s post #108, I am glad that I never had to do any physics using imperial measures! Unfortunately our friends across the pond still use their convoluted version meaning I still think in inches and feet for some things and cm for others. I can’t get my head around Litres per 100 Km but MPG is fine, probably because the former seems back to front.

Heights in feet sound more “right” than metres but distances in feet are just wrong metres or yards make more sense. Those of us who were at secondary school in the late 60s when education transitioned to SI units can cope, sort of, with both systems by taking the most convenient for the current purpose. I am sure that yards, feet and miles will be with us for a while yet.

Just to illustrate how mixed up life has become, we buy fuel in litres but measure its use in miles per gallon and think it perfectly normal. We talk of TV screen sizes in inches but the centres of the vesa mount on the back are measured in mm.

Despite this mix of units few cars have a switch to change the displays from imperial to metric.