1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The perils of technology

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, Jul 27, 2021.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The point of speed bumps, chicanes, etc. was always to annoy and persuade drivers to go some other way. In our town they put the traffic lights and timed them also for maximum disruption, the idea being to kill off through traffic. Knock on effects, such as increased emissions from more acceleration, were never part of the concept.

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

My findings are similar elsewhere.....it makes a noticeable difference to my fuel consumption.

Round schools I have no problem with 20 zones and speed bumps as the road past Beeslack High is a 30 without speed bumps and folk do 40+. (there are barriers and an underpass for pedestrians)

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Not stupid at all!

Mille passus
    is eminently practical if you are a walker, but the Romans must have had longer legs than usual. It must have been a case of Veni, vidi, ambulavi.

If you're into pyramid building, then at the Giza plateau one minute of arc of longitude subtends exactly one statute mile. Now that is really useful information! :p:D

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

This is why we should go back to the horse. As long as your mates could lift you up onto it, the horse always knew the way home regardless of your state of inebriation.

5. PeteRob

Wasn’t that the point of having a cart behind the horse?

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No that was just a remarkably successful marketing campaign that convinced folk they needed ever bigger carts, stronger and bigger horses etc. Cf cyclists/motorists. ;)

AndyTake2 and peterba like this.
  7. PeteRob

Ah well! To change the topic slightly, and back to bikes. But it is new peril reducing technology.

I bought a Garmin Varia RTL515 yesterday - it is a rearward facing radar that picks up cars approaching from behind and sends an alert to the Edge I use for navigation. First impression based on twice around the block is that it is very good. I’m deaf and often don’t hear cars from behind and although I ride with a mirror I sometimes get caught unawares. This picks them up way before I can see them in the mirror. Plus, I can hear the Edge “beep” and it shows, by means of a dot that moves up the edge of the Edge, how close the car is getting. I’ll take it out on a club ride today and see if it annoys crossing town with continuous traffic. It has a rear facing light that is supposed to flash harder as a car gets closer but I’ll need someone to tell me how that looks from behind.

Zou likes this.
  8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

My wife's grandfather used to get home that way from the pub - in his cart, behind a horse. Just to add a twist, his wife was a prohibitionist - her grandfather started the total abstinence society in Invercargill.

peterba likes this.
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is a document called, I think, “Manual for the street”. It contains all the possible ways in which street furniture can be arranged to cause the maximum disruption to traffic flow and, in the name of safety, create the conditions to damage vehicles. Almost everything that the manual contains has the potential to be a hazard to vehicles. I found it on gov.uk after getting a parking ticket in Swansea where the signage was, deliberately, far from clear. I appealed, using the legislation as a guide, and heard no more.

As you say the various pieces of legislation are, to say the least, disjointed and often simply contradictory. Slowing traffic down increases some emissions and 20 mph limits are usually located where the increase can cause the greatest harm, such as around schools and shops. Not that I think cars should pass schools at speed but more an illustration of unintended consequences.

As for cyclists, when I was riding regularly, 20 years ago, I came across numerous attempts at using street furniture and road layout to, supposedly, protect cyclists that achieved anything but. I don’t look out for such things to the same extent now but I doubt the situation has improved. The only thing I have seen that benefits cyclists is the switch from speed bumps to speed pillows but they aren’t designed for cyclists but ambulances which can straddle them, as can HGVs, more unintended consequences. A holistic roads and traffic policy is required but there are too many vested interests for that to happen.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Here is the manual.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/341513/pdfmanforstreets.pdf

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I did add an after fit tacho to a car in the '70s.

12. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

One of the founders of our cycling club was speeding along Margate seafront back in the 40’s and was nicked and prosecuted for pedalling furiously and not for speeding.

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Looks like a very sensible piece of kit. One of those 'why didn't we think of this earlier' kind of thing.
    It makes me cringe when I see cyclists going along a road, often at high speed and not looking back. Knowing that there is something behind you even when you have your head down and really gunning it has to be one of the best things a cyclist can have.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The Town Police Clauses Act of 1847, section 28, F18, states that penalties will be given to "every person who rides or drives furiously any horse or carriage, or drives furiously any cattle".

The last recorded prosecution of a cyclist that I can find was in 1997 when a postman called Tony Adams was fined £120 for cycling through Cambridge at 25 MPH in a 30 MPH limit. I suspect he had to work hard at annoying the copper who reported him for that offence! :confused:

15. Andrew Flannigan

I tried out a pair of goggles with mirrors in the outer corners. They worked up to a point but I found they were too finnicky in heavy traffic, which is exactly where you need them most! :(

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The guy I arrested for drunk in charge of his bike worked very hard for it and lost that game.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

I'll give that a careful read. At first glance, it looks quite sensible.

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A mile is 80 times the distance between the wickets on a cricket pitch.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Get into some of the detail and it might look different. Of course it will have been refined since I researched it seven years ago.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Does the horse push or pull the cart?