1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The perils of isolation portraits

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Catriona, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well, I went over to my 90 year old neighbours house, in a snow storm (!) to knock on their window and ask them to pose for me. Their coronavirus portraits for TW 2020.
    They are good sports and although I soon found out I should have taken a stool with me, I snapped a few just for fun. A bit surreal some of them, but I got my fresh air and probably frost bite too.

For your amusement, I post them here.

My wonderful 90 year olds.

Oh! And one of me! Accidental. Roddy was there, honestly!

ap mary 1.jpg

and Head in the Clouds
    ap mary 2.jpg

R minus body
    ap roddy 1.jpg

and before I could stop him, he came to the door
    ap roddy 2.jpg

and so that you know what I look like :)
    ap kate.jpg

I will repeat the exercise sometime soon!

Zou, John Farrell, Bazarchie and 3 others like this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

2 and 3 are wonderful! I just love them. And it's nice to see you in yoru colourful outdoor clothes too!

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  3. Catriona

Thanks Kath! I know they are far from normal, but I quite liked the results. It will be a reminder of these days of confinement! Yes, I like colourful clothes. :)

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yup love 2 and 3, and an important record of the time as well.

Catriona likes this.
  5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Love the idea too, but don't get nicked for it. Down here that would not be classed as going for a normal walk.

6. Catriona

I hear you. I do check up on them daily and they are just a few steps away. They are more vulnerable than me (I think) though I could be wrong there. It could be classed as the slightest ever detour on the way to shop (to see if they need anything).

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Though there is a guy in Brighton seems to be getting away with it, according to the Guardian.

Twice as many of his pics in the dead-tree edition.

8. Catriona

I really don't see the problem. If you are on a walk for exercise, does that mean you can never stop walking? Can't look around you? Can't quickly snap a snap? That is my exercise after all.
    It needs documenting. Or is only the BBC permitted to do that? How about that guy standing in the street and dancing to music? I'm not breathing on anyone. I'm not coughing. I'm not in the line for ventilator revival, so sorry, I will probably do it again.

EightBitTony and dream_police like this.
  9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was looking at the few on the guardian site yesterday.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Acid test as always is how does it work if everyone does it? "But they wouldn't" not being a relevant response.

11. Catriona

If everyone does it, there would be no-one behind the glass.
    Your question begs one from me. How could you spend years trying to persuade people that spending money they didn't have was for the greater good?