1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pandemic has rekindled my interest in Photography

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by John Fantastic, Oct 11, 2020.

1. John Fantastic

John Fantastic Active Member

Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. :)

I am a photography oldie and I used to be very active in Photography Forums but got very busy with my career.
    now with the pandemic raging out of control, I suddenly found myself having a lot of spare time.

I am getting older and I have noticed that I usually leave my heavy photo gear behind so I decided that from now on it will be mostly smartphone photography for me.

I have a Huawei P30, My wife has an iPhone 11 pro and my son has a Samsung S10 and I notice that they take better pictures SOOC . I also realized that I haven't printed anything bigger than an A3+ print for the ast 10 years. So instead of upgrading my old DSLR with a FF mirrorless camera, I decided to take the mobile photography route.

In the next few weeks I will be posting my pictures taken with a mobile phone.

RogerMac, MJB and EightBitTony like this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

3. John Fantastic

Thank you very much Tony. :)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Sounds like a good plan.

5. John Fantastic

Thank you for the welcome PeteRob. I'm quite excited to go back to photography again. This weekend I have requested a model friend to post for me. :)

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Post what?

Sorry.

7. PeteRob

Pose

John Fantastic likes this.
  8. John Fantastic

Sorry Bazarchie PeteRob is right. It should be pose. :)

9. John Fantastic

I just made my first mobile photography photo shoot today using my Huawei P30 and my wife's iPhone 11 Pro and 3 Innovatronix CPFlash 550W Off camera flash. I think it went okay considering that I am still learning how to fully operate my smartphone and the OCF gears. What a great convenience smartphone photography can be. I think with my photography style and interest, I can do 95% of my photography with my Smartphone. My DSLR will be relegated to special purpose photography, such as sports and wildlife . :)

This was taken in broad daylight. Exposure was 1/250 Sec. ISO200 F1.6 with a Huawei P30 Pro. I underexposed my shot by more than 3 stops to darken the background. 3 CPFlash 550W was used to take this shot. :)I did slight editing in photoshop using burning and dodging only.

[​IMG]

A day for night effect was achieved by underexposing the ambient light by more than 3 stops and placing blue filter gels in the flash.

[​IMG]

10. John Fantastic

I am not a professional photographer neither do I do a lot of wildlife and sports photography. I don't print larger than A3+ (13" x 19") either so instead of upgrading my old DSLR system to a mirrorless camera and lenses I downgraded to a smartphone . :)

Here is my latest Huawei P30 shoot with 4 CPFlash 550W off camera flash in a studio.

[​IMG]

11. John Fantastic

ooops the image did show up. :)

here it is. :)
    [​IMG]

12. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

How do you sync a flash with a smartphone?

13. PeteRob

14. John Fantastic

Hello Ryancollin, I am using the Innovatronix CPFlash 550W ( you can google it, there are many articles and videos reviewing the product in youtube and most notably LightingRumours ) it was just released last march 2020 and I took the plunge and bought initially 3 units then bought 1 more. Its a Continuous LED Flash rated at 550W . Unlike the Godox A1 which syncs only at shutter speeds less than 1/30 of a second the Innovatronix CPFlash syncs at all shutter speed even up to 10,000 of a second. It has similar power output performance to my Canon 580EX speedlight. It is very easy to use and compatible with any Android or iOS smartphones.

During my DSLR days my photography technique uses many off camera flashes. I mainly use multiple Yongnou speedlites for my images. What has prevented me from fully adopting the smartphone for my photography has been the lack of a powerful external flash. Now with the CPFlash 550W , I am ready to retire my DSLR. :)

Here is a shot I did about 4 years ago with multiple Yongnou Flashes. :)

[​IMG]

Here is a shot I did very recently with my Huawei P30 Pro smartphone and 2 Innovatronix CPFlash 550W external Flash. A CPFlash with a snoot was positioned on the left side of the frame while another CPFlash in a softbox was positioned on the right. :)

[​IMG]

15. ryancolin

ryancolin Member

John, you are Fantastic. Do I get a prize for being the 10,000th person to make that joke?

16. John Fantastic

Hahahahahaha Thank you very much RyanCollin. I have always been fond of low power multiple off camera shots . I find them very easy and convenient and adds up a lot of drama to the photo. I am posting 2 photos below. I hope you like them. :)

Here is a shot I took (I cant remember exactly when) years ago. with my DSLR and multiple Yongnous flashes.

[​IMG]

Here is another shot I took with my Huawei P30. BTW I have some images taken with my wife's iphone 11 Pro as well. I actually prefer to take travel photos but travel restrictions are so tight that I just taking shots in the studio nowadays. Maybe first quarter of next year, travel restrictions wont be so tight. :)

[​IMG]